Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
houston
I noticed today that that i had a couple tongue twitches and it has caused me to ask you guys a few questions concerning it.How can you tell if your tongue has atrophy on it,if my tongue was wasting would i have noticed any changes in my speech yet because my speech is still ok.I can still chew and swallow ok even though it feels like im gonna choke sometimes , could be stress i guess.i had a clean emg on my arms and legs due some cramps and twitching but that was a few months back.The area under my lip will spasm sometimes or twitch.Does this sound like bulbar to you.Does the twitching normally occur after tongue weakness, i can still move my tongue ok.Also, the left side of my lip feels like there s water dripping out of it, strange feeling.

NO slurred speech, no problem chewing means no tongue atrophy and no ALS.

If you notice odd symptoms like drooling or your mouth not working or feeling right popping up out of the clear blue sky, don't go to the Internet for your answers. Go to your doctor! Your chances of having a stroke are far greater than those for having ALS -- more than a hundred times greater, in fact -- and the neurological signs can be very similar.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- a computer with an Internet connection is no substitute for a real doctor. And anyone that thinks otherwise is a fool who's putting his life into some untrustworthy hands.

Atrophied tongue? Think of a "devil" tongue. Chew on that! And you wouldn't be aware you are "drooling!"

You had a clean EMG a couple months ago. Obviously you have seen a dr. that doesn't see a need for further medical attention in this area. Looks like to me you put in 'tongue twitch' into the search engine and ran into Bulbar ALS. No atrophy, no problems chewing, no problems with talking- you should be fine. Your symptoms do not point to bulbar als or any other als.

Thanks guys for the respones to my questions.I have a followup question on whay people who are suffering with bulbar als get episodes of coughing.What are some of the causes and is it a late probelm.Thanks again.Oh if my tongue had atrophy would i still be able to tent my cheeks.

Thanks guys for the respones to my questions.I have a followup question on whay people who are suffering with bulbar als get episodes of coughing.What are some of the causes and is it a late probelm.Thanks again.Oh if my tongue had atrophy would i still be able to tent my cheeks.

How many ways do you need reassured that you do not have ALS. I am assuming your doctor cleared you.

Everyone gets episodes of coughing-with causes ranging from a scratchy throat to pneumonia.

Why are you so obsessed with ALS?

Feelings of water dripping? Numbness? Not ALS symptoms. If your tongue had atrophy, it would already be not working properly. Atropy is caused by DEAD muscles. You wouldn't be able to talk, chew or swallow properly.

Good luck. Get off the ALS train before you make yourself sick with anxiety.

People who have bulbar ALS get coughing fits when they get food or liquids into their lungs because their swallowing muscles don't work properly.

1. The muscles that seal off the airway during the swallow stop working and fail to seal properly.
  2. Food or liquids get into the trachea from the gullet during the swallowing action.
  3. Patient coughs -- reflex to protect the lungs from foreign objects.

If you had tongue atrophy, you would most likely be unable to tent your cheeks with your tongue. Bonus answer -- scalloped edges on your tongue are not a manifestation of tongue atrophy.

Thankyou guys for your answers, does anyone know the avg. length of time for bulbar onset to become more obvious to diagnose if present.Its been 6 months with my symptoms and is nt it rare to have overall involvement, my early issues were twitches in legs, cramps, and spasms under my lip.Lately, my voice is getter hoarse and im clearing my throat of phelgm,food, etc..my lips after a sasm will feel weak but i can still whistle and kiss my wife thx goodness.

i have been wondering the same thing ive been having major thorat and choking issues, and i end up having to go to the er last night took xratys streap test bc it does hurt which is a sign of dphysigia, (sp?) and the er doctor flat out told me ph yah nerve damage and gave me cough syrup follow up with ert and a neuro.. ohhh geeze soo i havent been eating nothing at all iam soo scared i will start choking like i did past cuple days, but that seems a tad better by left thrat so hard to swallow, and it moves around, i knew something wasnt right, i askd a bulbar ? also but i never got a clear answer from anyone ... guess.. its really not gona be answerd no one is a dr

daddypix, you've reached the point many new people have reached--it's the point where we realize that we are wasting our time trying to help. You've asked and been answered.

By multiple people.

Each answer prompts a new question. See a doctor since you won't believe anyone here.

i have been wondering the same thing ive been having major thorat and choking issues, and i end up having to go to the er last night took xratys streap test bc it does hurt which is a sign of dphysigia, (sp?) and the er doctor flat out told me ph yah nerve damage and gave me cough syrup follow up with ert and a neuro.. ohhh geeze soo i havent been eating nothing at all iam soo scared i will start choking like i did past cuple days, but that seems a tad better by left thrat so hard to swallow, and it moves around, i knew something wasnt right, i askd a bulbar ? also but i never got a clear answer from anyone ... guess.. its really not gona be answerd no one is a dr

You were answered--you just don't like the answers. You can't even be bothered to write a legible post--why should we be bothered to try and reassure you?

you were presented with several possibilities in your thread--you just chose to ignore them, which is all just fine.

BULBAR ALS = SLURRED SPEECH AND CHOKING ON LIQUIDS IN EARLY STAGES. Neither of you has anything to freaking worry about with ALS.

Throat pain isn't a sign of ALS. Did you expect an ER to diagnose you with it? Lord, you're another that is simply wasting time-as you will not believe anything you're told. SEE A DOCTOR for answers.

Thankyou guys for your answers, does anyone know the avg. length of time for bulbar onset to become more obvious to diagnose if present.Its been 6 months with my symptoms and is nt it rare to have overall involvement, my early issues were twitches in legs, cramps, and spasms under my lip.Lately, my voice is getter hoarse and im clearing my throat of phelgm,food, etc..my lips after a sasm will feel weak but i can still whistle and kiss my wife thx goodness.

If your first symptoms were in your legs, you don't have bulbar onset, so your question about average amount of time needed for a bulbar diagnosis is nonsensical as well as logically incoherent.

Chew your food thoroughly before swallowing and make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day so you don't become dehydrated.

Thx for your input notme, im going to the nuero sept 6th with my concerns.I dont have any slurred speech but im having trouble with liquids that feel as if im gonna drown on it. and i feel as if im gonna choke.I have had an increase in coughing.Oh well, i do appreciate you taking time out to address my concerns.

Might I ask how you know what it feels like to drown? Coughing is not ALS. If you had ALS you might choke on saliva or food. You don't so look elsewhere for a solution.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back