Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
Tx
City
NB
Does anyone have advice on what to do when your PALS has big grooves and tearing on their tongue? It's almost as if my Mom's tongue is falling apart. I know it has to bother her. She hasn't been able to swallow in almost 2 months. Still doing ok with the PEG. I know her oral cavity is not as clean a it should be...Thanks

No ildea. I would get it checked. I am battling thrush. Lucky don't have to drink or eat. Everything goes through my peg

could she be biting it? is it painful or bleeding or infected? I would start at least rinsing her mouth with a non alcohol mouthwash. we have really worked hard on oral hygene. it is a big chore! there was another post recently on oral care that you should look for i think under tips and tricks...

Is it possible her mouth is too dry? It' can be a challenge to keep the mucus membranes moist when swallowing is an issue. Does she say it hurts? If it does, it def. needs to be checked!

If you can, head to the dentist...you might have to do some educating, but Rog's dentist cares for him sitting up, auctions his mouth carefully and is very patient, insuring his mouth is clean and in good shape...

Jen

My sister has the same problem on both sides of her tongue as if ear rings ripped from the ears each night she has spasms and her jaws lock causing her to bite her tongue. We are having a hard time finding a dentist who will treat her at this stage because of liability. The recomendation is a bite guard. We have been using ambesol and magic mouth wash for pain.

Very sorry your Mom has to be going through this!

I have had the same problem with my jaw clamping down on my tongue and causing it to tear and swell. The more it swelled, the more I bit/chewed on it.

I used an upper mouth guard that I purchased at a big box store, like Walmart, for about a month and also used a mouthwash with 1.5 % hydrogen peroxide (Orajel Antiseptic Rinse).

After a while my tongue healed up and I haven't had to wear the guard recently. But I'm sure I will at another point down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back