Tongue is moving along teeth when talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexAlex

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
RU
State
MW
City
Moscow
Dear all,

I would really appreciate if you could advice me on progressing problem I got. I am 40 years old and since recently started to notice that my speaking is not as good as it was. Day by day it was getting worse and today I found out why. It looks like when I speak fast, my tongue tip is moving along teeth to the right. On some stage (after 10 when counting 1 to 20) speech is slurred. I tried to push the tongue back to the middle, it is still possible, but takes some effort and speech is slowing down.
In addition, I got hoarseness which is getting worse as well. Before I thought it can be because of vocal abuse (I used to sing a lot with a guitar loudly), but not sure now.
I visited neurologist about one month ago, she found reflexes normal, symmetric and brisk. Then I did brain MRI and it was clean.
The tongue itself works fine, I can speak and even sing pretty fast, but need to control its location constantly.

Could you please share your opinion if it looks like ALS?

Thank you

It doesn’t look like ALS. You might want to consider seeing a speech therapist.

Thank you very much for your answer!

Please, for my better understanding, I would like to ask couple of more very simple questions.

1. Is it correct that in bulbar ALS slurred speech must be because of tongue weakness? To move tongue itself must be difficult.
2. In my situation I would say that it can be jaw, cheek or some other muscles. If I understand correct that jaw, cheek etc onset is not typical (if possible at all)?

The first sign of bulbar is usually slurred speech that others notice. Tongue range of motion diminishes due to lack of brain signals to the tongue. The tongue doesn’t feel weak or hard to move. It just doesn’t go. For example, I can not touch my tongue to the sides of my cheeks or stick it out of my mouth.

Thank you very much for your answer!
I really appreciate it!

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back