Reason
Other
Country
US
State
California
City
Elk Grove
Hello everyone, and thank you for your time to read this and respond. I will be making a donation when I get paid. I’m 28 years old and have had twitches for 3 months. And yes I read the thread that if I have twitches read this first. The problem is that I have terrible health insurance and cannot see a neurologist. I can’t be referred to one because a lot of neurologists aren’t excepting medi cal. What worries me is that there are a few videos on YouTube with the similar tongue movements like mine which worries me. I have no clinical weakness, no slurred words, although I have been mispronouncing words a lot lately. I do however aspirate on water. Coughing every time I drink water or eat. I noticed the tongue when I was trying to clean my back molar I used a light. It’s when my tongue is at rest. The reason I am worried, is because on bfs the tongue will twitch on the tip usually or sided but thump repeatedly in one spot and you can feel it. That’s what they told me. It tried to upload a video but it won’t work. Also bite my tongue a lot when a talk.

It sounds like you've done plenty of research. Your observations, while important, can not help you diagnose yourself with a terminal neurological disease based on personal internet research and youtube videos.

The place to start is not a neurologist, but a general medical practitioner who can examine you and tell you what they observe and where they think you should be referred to next, if anywhere. This forum can answer general questions, but is absolutely not a replacement for actual proper medical care. There are many conditions that share symptoms with what you report- from anxiety to GERD to a whole variety of of other problems. ALS is at the bottom of a very long list of other conditions and has some very distinctive symptoms that you do not report.

I did see my primary and he noticed the tongue twitching all over and was concerned. Can’t find a neurologist because of my crap insurance. He referred me to one but I just got a call saying they canceled it because he is no longer excepting Medi-Cal . Sorry I left that part out.

I also wanted to add that I’ve been having the most fatigue I have ever felt in my life. I don’t have anxiety either.

Also have positive jaw reflex. Sorry many things it’s hard to remember it all sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not seeing any reason to think ALS.
The problems you describe might be anything or nothing at all. Don't let it bother you. Just see any doc, so you get an expert investigation.
Twitches come in many variations and tongues have a life of their own.
You can get yourself very worried if you continue looking up symptoms on the internet.

Thanks for the replies. I saw my doctor and he was concerned about the tongue fasciculations and positive jaw jerk. I’m not worried because I read the statistics on Bulbar als. Only 600 cases a year in the USA. 5,000 als cases a year. Not only that I’m in my twenties.

I am sorry about the insurance issue. Surely somewhere there must be a neuro who takes your insurance. It is sometimes difficult here for Masshealth people ( think it is equivalent) but they eventually find someone often in Boston as opposed to their suburb

I finally got in, well not yet. May 16th to be exact. To see a neurologist. I must say I have been yawning more than I ever have in my life at least 20-30 yawns everyday for the past week. All I read on evil google could be early sign of bulbar onset. Of course I’d read something like that. No medications either...

That’s great you got an appointment. A month wait is not bad. Lots of us have waited longer. Yawning like twitching is unspecific. Don’t worry!

Let us know what the neuro says

That’s great you got an appointment. A month wait is not bad. Lots of us have waited longer. Yawning like twitching is unspecific. Don’t worry!

Thanks! I will.

I just had another quick question. I’m getting mixed answers online that slurring speech is slow speech that kind of sounds like you’re drunk? I read some stories of people with Bulbar onset who said they had difficulty pronouncing words. Like their words were missed pronounced or jumbled.

Also is it constantly happening every time you talk?

Cynthia, remember this...

"I’m not worried because I read the statistics on Bulbar als. Only 600 cases a year in the USA
5,000 als cases a year. Not only that I’m in my twenties."

Then...

"All I read on evil google could be early sign of bulbar onset. Of course I’d read something like that.."

Key words... "evil google".

Finally...

"Thanks! I will."

Ok, check back in after your Neuro appointment. Try hard to stay off Google
and log off this Forum until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back