Learn about ALS
Country
uk
State
london
City
london
Hi,

I think i have mild atrophy on the left hand side of my tongue. I can't notice when it's relaxed but when i stick it out i can see a furrow near the left edge and the left side looks thinner and more indented than the right.

2 questions for you:

1. Can a tongue be atrophied without noticeable weakness? I can still move tongue from side to side, in and out, up and down etc and when i protrude it it seems to come out straight. The difference in the two sides is definitely there though.

2. Is it true that bulbar ALS usually presents with bilateral tongue wasting and weakness?

Hope someone has answers i'm so worried.

Thank you.

I had bulbar onset and I noticed I couldnt touch my tongue to the inside of my cheeks and when I stuck it out it when to the left it was scalloped with slurred speech hope that helps Pat

about the tongue weakness!

i am having alot of tongue weakness myself.and pain under my chin,my neurologist said it was my tongue muscle that was hurting,it makes it hard to eat or suck on a straw.and when i am tired it is worse,the slurred speech is also worse when my tongue is tired or fatigued from eating or talking .and i was diagnosed with bulbar onset als.swallowing was my first symptom,then chewing ,then tongue,and then the limbs started to join in.

Me too Started with thel surred speech Very slow progress have ALS 9 years Limb onset after 7 years.Hope you have the same slow als variance Pat 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back