Reason
Other
Country
US
State
tx
City
fort wortb
I have tried for months to stay away from this site inspite of my constant twitching. I started twitching in my tongue and now I am afraid that I have tongue atrophy. My tongue appears longer and thin. I have a dent around the tip of my tongue, however I am still able to tent my cheeks, swallow, move my tongue just fine. My question is what does tongue atrophy look like?

If you can do all those things,you don't have atrophy!

Make an appointment with a muscular neurologist and get an EMG done. They will let you know if it is ALS.

OK I keep telling myself that but it is so hard to convince your brain otherwise. I have become obsessed with this disease constantly in prayer for a cure. I really appreciate your response. I know you guys are not doctors but you definetley put my mind at ease

My husband's ALS is bulbar onset. Atrophy comes WAY after the tongue loses function. First you slur all your words, then you lose the ability to speak at all. You start choking on food because your tongue can't move food to the back of your mouth. Can't say my husband's tongue was ever long and thin, or had dents........he lost the ability to stick it out early on. It just stays dead in the bottom of his mouth. What you describe is definitely not tongue atrophy, or ALS. Relax and stay away from Google and this forum....it feeds your fears.

I thank you so much for your response. I know you guys are not doctors but your first hand experience with the illness help to sort through my fear of the disease. I pray that God providea a cure for it or something to help the people and their families affected live longer and more self sufficient lives. I will do my best to stay away from this site and google. Thank you so much and I'm praying for yall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back