Diagnosis
01/2020
Country
US
State
MI
City
Novi
Hello! My Mom was diagnosed with ALS in March 2019. She is in a wheelchair full-time and has lost the use of her legs, and has limited arms and hands movement. We have had OT,PT, nurses the latter. No one has a tolieting solution. Currently, we lift her up from her wheelchair using a gait belt, she stands momentarily and we move a commode chair behind her and she sits. Pretty soon this will not be a viable option, what is everyone else doing? She hates the idea of "going" in her depends. Any suggestions, would be great!

A Hoyer lift might solve moving her around in a safe way. Done properly, it protects both the PALS and CALS.

Yes, you need a lift for transfers period, not just toileting, to get her in and out of bed and a wheelchair, at minimum. The local ALSA chapter may have a loaner, you may find one in your community or you can buy a power lift (the kind you need) on line at sites such as SpinLife. Most people can use the lowest-priced lift listed as "electric," where you press a button to lift or lower but use a manual lever to open and close the legs. "Hoyer" was the first brand, but is now basically a generic description, like Kleenex.

Best,
Laurie

Hoyer lift for sure. We just went through this with my husband and one time he did not get to the restroom on time. A hoyer lift can prevent embarrassing moments that are bound to happen without a lift. My poor hubby was so humiliated.

I use a bedpan for all of my toileting needs. It works perfectly in bed, recliner, or wheelchair. Take an open diaper and slide the front portion of it into the bedpan, absorbent side up, slide bedpan under your person allow the back portion of the diaper to go over the front of your person, when they are finished simply slide the bedpan out clean up, everything is contained in the diaper so no spills or overflows and clean up is so easy. I love my hoyer for transport but toileting took its toll on my body, my self imagery, ego, etc. The bedpan I can virtually ignore. I hope this helps.

Hi, we do have a Hoyer lift, we are looking for a solution we could have my Dad transfer and toilet her by himself. We have multiple slings.

Many of us use<d> the lift by ourselves. It does take practice. What part is he having difficulty with? If she is using a regular toilet, typically he would hover her over it in a divided leg sling.

Actually placing her on the toilet without the lift would be much more difficult/dangerous because she would lose support that is typically needed to stay upright.

Last edited:
hi all, long time no chat :)

I was in the hospital recently and they used purewick with me. it was nice. couldnt find a price online for home use. for BM they made me use bedpan. at fist i was mortified but when i got over it, itt was easy and efficient.

@Kristina1 So good to hear from you! I pray all is well with you. :love:
How is Purewick different from the other type of catheters? I need a basics class...getting confused.

Ditto happy to see you Kristina.
cathy purewick is an external system. We have discussed it before. At the time it was very expensive.

PureWick recently got approved for a new (K1006) billing code for the part of the system that didn't have one (the suction pump). The other pre-existing codes: Collection Canister: A5102; Patient Tubing: A4331; PureWick female external catheter (FEC): A4328.

However, for most plans, including traditional Medicare, it remains uncovered as "investigational" because there is not enough evidence head-to-head for the higher cost against alternatives. It would do no harm to ask your DME to keep up on it, as these things can move gradually up the ladder once they are coded. Some adventurous DMEs might even be willing to file an rx claim with a nice LMN, to jumpstart the process and help establish demand.The justification would be incontinence + immobility rather than convenience.

Glad to see you, Kristina!
--Laurie

I will be coming up against this issue.
Doesn't it take time to get the PALS into the sling, lift them, transfer and lower?

It only takes a couple of minutes once you gain experience. Essentially, you lean the PALS forward and put the sling back behind theirs, then lift the legs in turn and pull the sling "legs" underneath, then attach the sling loops to the Hoyer that has been pulled up to surround the wheelchair, and lift. There are many good diagrams and videos. The Hoyer moves on wheels.

The lifting/lowering occurs via electricity, so it's pretty fast. You'll definitely want a power lift, not a manual one.

When I first started using the lift it seemed to take forever. But now I can have it on or off of my pals in record time. I also sing while I’m doing it. Only time anyone will ever stick around. :). What I like is it’s safe and he isn’t going to get hurt. And u don’t have to go as high as it can. Just enough not to hit anything. And lowering it is easy. My biggest problem is banging my own head on it when I forget it’s there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back