Toileting help/Sling advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more problem, despite lowering him as far to the back of the toilet as possible, and despite the fact that the Liko high-back hygiene sling keeps him in an upright posture, he still ends up too far to the front of the toilet. There is a bidet seat which makes the hole smaller than an elongated seat. When he was doing standing transfers this was not an issue. So for now he is able to use his strength to wiggle himself back, but dunno what were going to do when that is not possible.

Glad things are working out, Ruth! My husband was OK going without underwear, but balked at the flap idea. He wore loose sweats. I did find some lighter weight ones for warmer weather. He was usually cold, so shorts went by the wayside.

We used with the "straps inside the pants" method. With the loose sweatpants, it got to be pretty easy to slide the straps out.

As for positioning on the toilet (we also had a bidet seat) I used to stand to the side and use one hand to gently push back on his knees while lowering (luckily we had a power lift). It helped to get him back a little bit further. Our lift had a pretty high "lift height" which also helped.

Patience and practice! Keep up the great work!!! 💕

It may just take practice as Jrzy suggests to get that positioning just right.
I know that I got really good at placing Chris in exactly the right spot and angle on the bed at night, but it took a bit of trial and error to get it perfected. If I didn't get him right we would end up with bunching of the sheets as I corrected his position so I had to figure it out.

Ruth,

We had a mechanical hoyer (versus an electric). I would push down on Darcey's knee with one hand... this having the effect of moving her back more... and used the other hand to so carefully turn the knob that let the sling lower her. I'd keep that pressure on her knee until she was fully down. As has been said, it all gets easier with practice. Look at how much progress you've already made! You go girl!

My best...

Jim

How ironic, as the disease progresses, his abilities regress, my skills advance, and we call that progress!

Thank you Jim for guiding me in the right direction and lending me the sling. It is working well now for me during the day, and the nighttime caregivers are learning.
I am still waiting to see if the company I bought the wrong size from will send me the correct size....

Ruth,

I'm glad I could help. I know that Darcey is glad that what we learned is now helping the two of you. The sling is yours. If you are able to get the other replaced with the correct size, then... and only then... return our sling. We'll then use it to help someone else. If they won't take it back, send me your smaller one. Who knows... perhaps I'll buy another large and then I can send two slings out when someone wants to give this type a try.

But the bottom line is that you are not on any restricted time line from me. And every time that I'm able to make someone's journey a little easier, it eases the burden of the memory that I carry relating to our own personal journey.

Always, my best...

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back