Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Granbury
My husband wears satin underwear because it makes it easier for me to slide him into his power chair from his bed by way of a transfer board. The problem begins when I transfer him from the power chair to the toilet seat and I have to lower his underwear. He use to be able to use the palms of his hands on the handles of the toilet seat riser, lock his elbows and use his upper arms to push up on about an inch and I could slide his underwear off and on easily. He is now losing arm strength and can't push up so I am having a hard time with his underwear! He cannot push himself with his feet anymore either. Going to the bathroom now has become a very exhausting experience for him and takes him awhile to recover from this common natural situation. He has a hoyer lift that I'll probably have to use very soon but the slings also get in the way of removing and pull up underwear. I've looked on the internet and have called several companies for a vest type harness (with no crotch straps) and shoulder loops that could attach to the lift and lift him about an inch and I could lower and pull-up his underwear but have not found anything. My husband can control his bowels so it is important to him not have to start wearing adult diapers. What can I do right now and what can I do after he needs to use the hoyer lift? Does anyone have a solution this underwear problem? Does any know of a vest-type shoulder harness without crotch straps that could lift him about an inch for future use?

I tried all the different lifting vests, but they interfered with my husband's breathing, and slid up since his arm are too weak to stay down. He is now in a motorized wheelchair that will adjust seat positions. He lowers the back of his wheelchair so that he is sitting at 30 degrees and I lower the stretch waste band down as low as I can, then take his pants by the inner seam by his crotch and the outer seam on one side by his hip and pull it down. I alternate that on the other side, and then usually one more tug on both side seams and they slide down. Then I raise the seat up, put on his toiletting sling and put him on the toilet using the lift. After he is done I transfer him back to his chair and remove his sling, then use the upper straps of the sling under his knees and hook them to the lift. I lower his back until he is laying flat, raise the lift until his knees are lifted into the air and his bottom is off the chair. I pull up his pants, lower the sling, raise the back of his chair and he is done. It sounds a bit complicated but it is quite quick, and he actually says it feels good to be hung from his knees during that time.

I have the material to make a simple sling that I can use under his knees, but just haven't had the time to make it yet. My husband has been going commando under his pants for some time now, and I find the slippery track pants, at least one size too large the easiest, as does he. He actually is using a sip and puff ventilator now, and we still manage very well. I plan on opening a pair of his track pants on both side and putting velcro in place to make using the bottle easier.

It was difficult at first for him to have me toilet him, but it is made easier because we have a bidet that washes him when he is done. It does have a dryer but it takes about 3 cycles to dry him and that is too long on the toilet, so I just use toilet paper to pat him dry.
I hope this helps. If it is too confusing I could try and draw it out and post it.
Paulette

If he doesn't get out of his wheelchair or stand to transfer in public anymore, you can simplify the toilet routine even more. Just remove the back seam of his pants from an inch or two below the waist band to an inch above the crotch seam. Depending on the type of fabric and how badly it frays on cut edges, you may need to zigzag stitch along the edges. If you have that done at an alteration shop tell the you don't want folded over and sewn down seam because that will leave a lump that will hurt his skin. Since he will still be going commando, put a hand towel on the seat of the chair. Now there will be no need to pull his pants down or back up to use the toilet! Just transfer him back and forth with the sling. I have been using open back pants for several years and as long as they aren't hiked up in front, everything is covered and no one can tell they are open at the back and under my bottom.

Diane I was going to suggest a kilt, but your idea is really good! looks like pants in the front, but open in the back.

Thank you for your solution, I will definitly try your ideas...

Thank you for your solution; worthy trying what has worked for you!

We go a step more au naturale with pants that are open at the sides (snap pants) and pull them up only as far as the knees, then tuck the extra material around the hips/thighs. A hand towel is not an option due to irritation and the Roho cushion architecture, so it's just a case of keeping the cushion cover clean (I sponge it off daily). He wears a poncho or full-zip hoody on his upper half. When we go out he has to be covered w/ an outdoor blanket (nylon exterior) anyway.

Paulette is a toileting sling different from a hoyer lift?

Barbie I have been threatening a kilt for some time now!

A hoyer lift is the lifting apparatus, and then you have to get a sling to go with it. There are several different slings available, some just for lifting, some are walking slings (didn't work with my husband as it wanted to slide up to his armpits, and made it difficult to breath) and hygiene slings. I am not sure how it works in the States, but our hospital had an occupational therapist come to our home and try different slings with my husband. The BC ALS society worked with her as well and lent us a hoyer lift and sling. Then we had ceiling lifts put in when we built the house, and the same sling was used. You can look up slings through google, to get some ideas.

thank you, that helps and I understand now. Yes it kinda works the same here.

Your local ALS or MDA chapter may have slings on loan. Be aware that the "recommended" weight for the different sizes is not as important as the safety-rated weight. Because PALS experience atrophy as well as weight loss, you often need to size smaller as progression continues.

For toileting, you want a sling with "divided legs," not simply a "commode opening" (a small hole, not sufficient). For showers/baths, you want a mesh sling. Some of us use a mesh sling w/ divided legs for everything.

we have a stand assist lift that isn't as big as a hoyer.. the sling goes around his back and under his arms...it lifts him to a standing position...then I can sit him on the toilet.. leaving the sling on . He also has a special shower chair that tilts back and has an opening in it for toileting.

Where did you find these goodies?

We get all of our equipment from the VA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back