Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
my wife's toes are starting to curl & she cant wear sandals of any kind, the least of our worries . I try to stretch them out to avoid being permentaly bent. Has anyyone tried the pads that go on your toes to avoid this. She can wear at night. I doubt they could be worn with shoes. Yes, I have googled it, I am asking for personal experience if someone has done this.
thanks in advance !
CRF

My husband has never worn the pads on his toes, however he wears 2 AFO"S during the day inside his shoes. There are boots to be worn at night for foot drop (which is the toes curling). They are called multi podus boots. My husband switches between these and firm slippers in bed. Hope this helps. :smile:

Toe curling

I haven't found anything to help my toes. I have seen about AFO's but the dr. said it would be a waste of money ($600.00 can. each). Since I don't walk anymore and need to use my feet for grip when I transfer. I tried to use my slippers but my feet get stuck on the floor and I am unable to move(slide) them into position. I'm still looking too. Sorry I wasn't much help.

Micheline

Hi CRF
I have the same problem. Have a couple of low tech ideas that are helping me for now...
We took the back straps off the footrests on my power wheelchair so I can keep my toes flat on the footrest...coupled with firm soled slippers. Like Micheline tho I have to take them off when I try and stand to transfer as they drag on the floor and are dangerous
In bed we jam a lid from a plastic bin between the mattress and footboard and let it stick up about a foot- then put a couple of small pillow against it. That gives me something to push my feet against sometimes while in bed and it does make a huge difference.
Don't know what I will do when I lose much more strenght tho.
Things keep changing with this thing - about the time you get something figured out all of a sudden the rules change.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back