Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
pennsyltucky
Tobii rep said bifocals with line don't work well with their eyegaze technology. My 50 year old eyes need help. Have any of you used progressive lens glasses with a Tobii? How was your experience? Do any of you have advice?

I am not at your stage in terms of needing eye gaze. I have been extremely myopic my entire life (my eye glasses were -20). I recently underwent cataract surgery with lens implants that essentially corrected my vision to 20 -20. The cataracts were minimal. I only did the surgery in anticipation of possibly eventually using eye gaze technology and because I could no longer get my contact lenses in or out. Now I only need a thin pair of glasses for distance. I don’t know if surgery is an option for you or not.

I have heard that Tobii doesn’t work well with bifocals or progressive lenses. On the other hand, I’ve heard people say the Eyegaze Edge does work under these circumstances. Perhaps people using that technology can comment.

However it works out, I wish you the best.

I communicate exclusively with eye gaze. My progressive lenses didn't calibrate so well with the original tobii.

I love the tobii eye tracker hooked up to regular tablet. It calibrates well with my glasses,
I use Microsoft surface,.

Thinking more about this, here are what I believe to be the options for a PALS who relies on bifocals, trifocals, or progressive lenses:

1. If surgery is an option, consider vision correction surgery. Options might include cataract removal/ lens implants or LASIK, if either is feasible.

2. Eyegaze Edge instead of Tobii, if what I hear is true that this device can be used with bifocals, progressive lenses, etc.

3. Consider the possibility of replacing the bifocals or progressive lenses with two pairs of glasses — one for computer distance which could be used with the Tobii, and one for further distances. That is, if this is an option.

I hadn’t seen AZgirl’s post when I submitted my second post. That may be a great solution for DrDark, better than anything I suggested.

I'm also thinking about this. I can still talk and type but I like to be ahead of the game in terms of technology. I've worn glasses/contacts since age 7. I went to progressive lenses in my 30s, so that'll give you an idea how bad my vision was.

I had Lasik in 2001. It was great and I had 20/20 for about five years. I went for distance correction but didn't even need my reading glasses for a few years. Then it started to regress. Not quickly but after about 8 years I needed weak correction. I just wore my contacts from that point on. They were super thin and comfortable. Now, like Karen, I can't take them out or put them in. Last year I went back to progressive lenses.

I went to the doctor this year and he said he wouldn't do cataract surgery because I had no sign of cataract. I probably should have played the ALS card harder. I've decided to take another shot this year, while I'm still able to get around, and go to another doctor, maybe Mayo.

I downloaded two eye gaze programs for ios. They both had no trouble "calibrating" but then they didn't work. I recalibrated several times but still bad performance. The touch apps work great and you can build lots of sentences and words but, if you lose all hand/finger function, no communication.

People at my support group all complained about Tobii and an iPad or Surface is sure a lot more economical than Tobii.

Kay, I'm going to check out your suggestion while figuring out if I can find a good doctor who can correct my vision. They said my Lasik scars were not even visible so it's possible to get a lasik enhancement but I'd rather have something permanent.

thank you all for your useful input. I wish I was aware of more options before I opted for the Tobii. I like the idea of combining a "real" computer with a peripheral gaze tracking device, but the only ones that I have seen appear to be oriented to gaming. I tried the edge product, and another competitor before choosing the Tobii, but they were a little wonky for me.

if I may ask, what product and apps did you combine with your surface tablet?

my surface has all the apps a normal user would ask for. The only difference is the windows control software .

I do social media, Kindle and audible book. Amazon prime for music and movies, email, news and weather apps. The camera and picture files, calendar, Google docs for writing, and of course regular Web surfing. Balaboka software for text to speech. Basically anything you'd want to do with a regular computer.

it's my lifeline.!

we were advised by Steve Gleason foundation. They were very helpful.

Last edited:
Kay,

Can you tell us the model of the eye tracker? I went on Amazon and saw the gaming ones but I have a feeling it's a different one. I did send them an e-mail and told them I had an iPad because they did mention on their site that they now support iPads but there was conflicting information.

I don't mind buying a Surface, if PC environment works better. I am still using my regular PC and have a PC laptop with touch control so that might even work. In the longer term I'll need something mounted on my wheelchair.

Maybe I'll contact Gleason foundation, too.

Thank you for the info.

PCEye Mini Access - with Windows Control

that's what order form says to tobii

I've had for a couple years so I suspect the re there is new version

Hi DrDark. I am a little late responding, but I would like to share my experiences. First off, I have not tried eye gaze attached to a tablet, so I can't really compare, but I do depend on my Tobii I-12+ basically 24 hours a day, and I love it.

I was given an older version Tobii by a speech therapist at my ALS clinic as a loaner to start getting use to. I did struggle with that a bit with my progressive lenses, however, with them off, it didn't seem much better. Once Medicare kicked in, we ordered the newest version and the eye tracking is much improved.

Back to your question about lens design, I actually use a progressive designed for computer use most of the time. There is a small section on the top of the lens for distance, and another small zone on the bottom for near. The larger middle section is for intermediate distance or computer distance. It works very well and reduces head tilt and neck pain. My lenses are made by Essilor, but most lens manufacturers have a version. Like what was suggested above, I do use a single vision computer glasses when I am laying in bed with Tobii mounted above me. I can read from my Kindle app and I can let my wife know I am ready to get up in the morning, usually by playing an appropriate song, like “ Friday, I'm in Love”.

Finally, I find there is not much I can't do on my Tobii compared to a tablet or pc. It runs Windows 10. I find the augmented speech program easy to use. The IR is great for controlling the TV and stereo. The other systems may be able to do more, but I am very happy with my Tobii. Good luck with what you decide.

HiBob,
I am new to needing glasses, so I wasn't aware that progressives are offered with different distributions of correction. I have already committed to the Tobii unit that you have, so your reassurance is appreciated. To digress, I used to spend a lot of free time in Leelanau and Old Mission, as well as the UP. I miss your part of the world.

DrDark, that was my attitude also, I have this device and I am going to learn as much about it I can. I am far from an expert, but if I could help in any way, please ask. Now as far as glasses lenses, I am a retired optometrist, so I should know a thing or two there. I figured my normal progressive lenses would have worked fine, however, I like having my Tobii mounted up higher to allow my head to be supported by the headrest. That is where the computer lenses perform best for me. It would be best to have an exam and demonstrate to the optometrist, ophthalmologist or optician what your visual demands are. They all should be able to find the best options for you.

Leelanau and Old Mission peninsulas are some beautiful areas. We have been out there a few times to enjoy the wineries. We stayed at Black Star Farms one weekend and we have some good friends living in Suttons Bay. I live a good two hours northeast in Cheboygan,

Bob

Hi,

I specialize in helping pALS who have a hard time calibrating with their eye trackers. It is true that the Eyegaze Edge works better with bifocals and progressives. On the other hand, it doesn't tolerate head movement so well. Doesn't pay to second guess your decision.

Really important to first make sure that the bifocals are the issue. When you remove your glasses, how are your calibrations? Green, yellow, red? Scratchy lines? This will rule out droopy eyelids and other eye conditions. If it's not too late, you may want to switch up to the i15+ because the bigger screen will give you more room for error. They sometimes let you do that late in the process.

Karen's idea of two pairs of glasses is one that we use all the time.

Nachum

We have 1 room in the house w. big windows on 3 sides. There is so much light in this room that tobii/surface pro does not work so well. We thought at first it was the glasses. Tried out different kinds... but things did not work so well.

In a room w. less sunlight, less windows and less glare it works much better for pALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back