06/2016
Country
US
State
MN
City
Minneapolis
Greetings!

I have a question regarding Tobii, maybe a few. Are there any that work with the MAC? What is the best equipment/software for 100% hands free, eye gaze operation only for e-mail and Internet?

I am actually both a former CALS for my late husband (3/13/19) and very close to a current PALS. He is currently using a Tobii where he composes messages, etc with his Tobii, but then uses what he has left in his hands to cut and paste onto his Mac to send e-mails, etc. This is tiring and will eventually likely be impossible.

My late husband did not use Tobii (he could speak and just gave up being online/e-mail by choice). Forgive me if these questions are repetitive.

Eyegaze Inc. makes eyegaze software for Macs and also sells an all-in-one laptop. They have a Web site and you will see an ALS section. Some of our members have used their products. Tobii doesn't work with Macs.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Hi Lenore,

I'm not sure if there's any kind of a Tobii Dynavox Device that works in conjunction with a Mac, but doubt it. My wife used a Tobii I-12 Self-contained unit quite successfully for talking, texting and emailing. One has to get a certain type of international cell phone for the texting piece to work consistently well. The emailing capability was clunkier, but it worked. The people at Tobii Dynavox can point you to an acceptable type of cell phone. I'm not home right now, but I can check and see what the phone was that we got if you're interested. It wasn't very expensive.

I know there are other non-Tobii types of eye-gaze devices out there, so hopefully others will pipe in as well.

all the best… Jon

Last edited:
Thank you both. I think an important discovery was made re the Tobii currently in use, that it can e-mail directly with mods to the outgoing e-mail addresses (Funny that it works, but it does!) so that was helpful.

Apple says eye-tracking is coming to iPads this year. Website says:

Eye-Tracking Support for iPad

iPadOS will support third-party eye-tracking devices, making it possible for people to control iPad using just their eyes. Later this year, compatible MFi devices will track where a person is looking onscreen and the pointer will move to follow the person’s gaze, while extended eye contact performs an action, like a tap.
Apple previews powerful software updates designed for people with disabilities

Macs have a built in head pointer, although I don't know how well it works.
If you have difficulty using a mouse or trackpad, you can use head pointer on your Mac. Head pointer lets you move the pointer on the screen using the movement of your face or head, as detected by the camera that’s built into or connected to your Mac. For example, if you move your head to the left, the pointer follows in that direction on the screen.
Move the pointer using head pointer on Mac

Hope this helps

Apple website​

Eye-Tracking Support for iPad

iPadOS will support third-party eye-tracking devices, making it possible for people to control iPad using just their eyes. Later this year, compatible MFi devices will track where a person is looking onscreen and the pointer will move to follow the person’s gaze, while extended eye contact performs an action, like a tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back