00/0000
Country
US
State
IA
City
Des Moines
I hope I'm sharing in the right place.
I have a facebook page where I try to encourage and support others as well as find resources. Someone messaged me today that they bought a Tobii Eye Tracker 5 for a friend's son.
She is wondering which software or program would be best to use with it. She could not find a good program for communication. The company is asking over $10K for a device that incorporates eye tracking and the program. Any help and direction I can give her will be much appreciated.
Is this something ALS organizations local to her would help with and funding?

The Tobii Eye Tracker 5 is a very basic device often used for gaming and runs around $200. Does the friend's son have ALS?

Yes he does have ALS and has the Tobii Eye Tracker 5 but they don't know what software to use with it

Morning Homeathearth, It's kind of you to help people out like this. We tried a Tobii EyeX for my wife initially and it is pretty similar to the Eye Tracker 5, from what I understand. Your Facebook friend should be able to just plug it in to their computer and automatically get the driver download prompts. If not, search 'tobii eye tracker 5' on the web and Tobii's gaming site should come up first. The driver can be downloaded there. They can also see if Tobii Tech Support can help at 800-344-1778.

That all being said, my wife didn't have much luck using the EyeX device to communicate. She found it to be pretty clunky and frustrating. She was able to get a Tobii I-Series all-in-one device as a loaner initially from our local ALS Center. Then she was able to get one of her own through Medicare, which covered 80%. If you look at items for sale on this site, you will see used I-Series devices that have been, or may still be for sale. Of course you'll find them on ebay, or similar as well. Your Facebook friend shouldn't have to pay anywhere near $10K for an I-Series, if they choose to go that route.

In any case, I hope the Eye Tracker 5 works out well for the son and he doesn't have to consider anything else. It's possible the technology has improved in the 4 or 5 years since we bought the EyeX.

All the best...Jon

Windows 10 has built in accessibility software that works with tobii. Not sure if it works with that exact model as I haven't messed with it in a couple years. It was usable. I currently use head tracking because it is much more forgiving to device positions. Here is a YouTube video I found that might help

Thank you so much for you help and information, Jimi and Jonico. I'll watch the video and pass this information on to her. She's working to help a family in Taiwan so funding is of a different sort but perhaps this will help her to lead to get the young man started and hopeful for the best :)

[commercial links removed]

hello,
I believe tobiidynavox is not that different from Tobii 5 (I hope I'm right?):

I have tobiidynavox and I think The differences are the included software "Windows control", and the built in microphone.

I compared tobiidynavox with Windows 10 built in software, Windows control and a free software called optikey.
In my opinion windows control was little bit better then optikey and a lot better than Windows 10 built in eye tracking software.

So I don't think it's worth the price difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
:)Thank you @Bass I'm going to check and see how the woman is doing with all this and hope their having success getting this young man going with communicating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back