03/2017
Country
us
State
TX
City
ooooooo
Hi everyone,

My dad went to the speech therapist yesterday (mom called and got an appt before als clinic) b/c his speech is getting worse day by day. IT BREAKS MY HEART!!! My mom told me that she told the lady that she's glad she called to get him an appt since it will take 6 weeks before the Eyegaze (not sure how to spell it sorry) will be delivered. I wanted to know if anyone had ideas of what we can do if his speech goes for good before he receives the speech device? He still has some movement in his fingers so he can text, but anything else that might be easier if he needs to go to the bathroom or need anything else? His arms are very very weak so please keep that in mind as well.

Thanks!

You can make a simple communication chart with either words or pictures of the important needs he may need to communicate.

He can either point to them, or you hold the chart up.

Or you play a game of asking questions.

I hope the Tobi arrives quickly so he can get cracking at learning how to use it - this will take some time and is very tiring so he may only be able to spend a little bit of time on it each day at first. Often it's better to spend a shorter amount of time and do this a couple of times a day, rather than spend too long and become exhausted or frustrated.

Agree with Tillie. He can also use his eyes. My sister had no speech and used eyegaze for a couple of years. Still she would sometimes direct her gaze so we knew what she wanted and blinked once and twice for yes/ no Get in the habit of yes no questions

And second that eyegaze takes time energy and patience. Good luck

Agree with Tillie. He can also use his eyes. My sister had no speech and used eyegaze for a couple of years. Still she would sometimes direct her gaze so we knew what she wanted and blinked once and twice for yes/ no Get in the habit of yes no questions

And second that eyegaze takes time energy and patience. Good luck

But avoid what my wife ( and a lot of people do) which is asking contrary questions separated by an "OR" . As in " do you want to eat something" OR" are you not hungry? " now days I say yes and make her figure it out.

Exactly what I was trying to convey Brad. Thanks for the example. It is a hard habit to break. Also learn to drill down by asking a series of questions that are yes no to get to something specific.

Oh Brad not funny but that made me laugh!

Definitely you ask very closed simple questions, and yes drill down.

So are you cold?
If yes you can start choices one at a time
Would you like a jumper?
Would you like to come inside?

But each one must first be answered, or confusion will reign!

I use a text to speech app on my phone and scribble on my boogie board. My Tobii was supposed to arrive yesterday, then today and now UPS says Monday. Can't wait to see and say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back