Status
Not open for further replies.
some pals thoughts

put some marshmallows in their mouths and try to have a conversation.

one thing that bothers me (mostly it is adults not kids) is that people are afraid to look or acknowledge a disabled person. physically disabled doesn't mean mentally or emotionally disabled too. a person in a wheelchair should be treated with the same respect and consideration as a walking healthy person. no need to talk loudly or speak to the caregiver only or talk to them like they are a child. and don't be embarrassed it you don't understand them or if you try to shake hands and they can't extend their hand out. you haven't hurt their feelings...

I'll go with simple. ask them to sit on their hands and while they are pinned down, button the top button of their shirt or blouse.....after they do that ask them to take off and put on their socks.

Last tell them to take nothing, no matter how simple, for granted.

put some marshmallows in their mouths and try to have a conversation.

And tell them they can't swallow the saliva that collects, for 5 minutes.

Proud of you for doing this.

@Patrick, good writing, takes a strong person to bare your soul.

Have them drink pudding through a straw.

Cheers,
Casey

Last edited by a moderator:
Another activity for the students might be to have them sit still and have the person next to them use a feather and have them lightly touch their hand/arm with the feather and ask them not to move "just remain still". My daughter is a junior in high school and she knows that just turning over in bed, scratching an itch, waiving a fly out of your face or being able to move your hair out of your eye is a freedom her dad no longer has. We did a similar exercise with her and her 12 year old brother and it really hit home. God Bless you for what you are doing to raise the level of awareness of ALS

Here is a story to emphasize this. One day this last summer my husband was sitting in his chair out on the deck enjoying the view, when a wasp landed on his foot and started to nibble on a toe. He was able to wiggle his foot very slightly but the wasp flew up and then landed down again and started to crawl down between his toes. He said he almost went insane, but took the control and rammed his chair into the table onto the deck, and it flew away. Imagine if he was unable to even do that.

Patrick, that is outstanding. I wish that I was that creative because you said it all.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back