Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
GA
City
Thomasville
Wish I could be the one giving much needed advice, but we're still new to this and keep coming up with questions. My husband has bulbar onset ALS, we will be moving to GA as soon as we sell our home in NC. We are questioning whether to buy a resale or build. Am I being realistic to assume we should prepare a brand new home for handicap accessibility, i.e. wide doorways, frameless shower, lots of room around toilet. My husband likes the idea of resale, doesn't think he'll ever need these modifications. I know how expensive they can be after the fact. He currently only has speech and eating limitations (has for a year now), but there is twitching in all his limbs. He is very mobile and active and just can't imagine he will have major mobility limitations. I hate being negative, he is such a positive, upbeat person right now. Any suggestions how to handle this, what is the wisest path? Also, can anyone from GA give me an idea how helpful GA is for ALS patients? He will be going to the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville, FL but living in GA. Thanks a bunch!

Even if he never needs the handicap accessibility features, as America ages, more and more seniors will need it. I think you're smart to think ahead on these issues, not being negative. Being proactive is always a good thing!

I know Alyoop had handicap features built into her home when they built it a few years ago. Potential master bedroom downstairs with large enough bath, easy to roll out to a patio, etc.

Good luck!

Your hubby sounds like me.
Similar situation, about a year, still mobile, with speech issues.

We finished the downstairs with all handicap mods (wide doors, large bathroom with walk in shower)
I don't plan on needing it anytime soon, but if I do, it's there, if not, doesn't hurt.

One less thing to worry about inn the future if needed.

Stay positive. I think it is the single best way to combat this.

Cheers,
Casey

I'd get what I can in advance...my husband also has bulbar onset but is now experiencing difficulty with mobility...I'm racing the clock at this point... Don't wait...

Jen

We built our house about 6 years ago with retirement in mind so we don't need much modification. A ranch style with wide halls and doors. So we won't have to make many changes. Just a bathroom remodel is all. And I can't go to the basement without lots of help but that's okay. I guess.

Right now builders are throwing in upgrades .We built a ranch handicap friendly but you wouldn't know it.
We bought in a 55 adult community .
Instead of the one step into the house .Put a incline into house .buy with open floor plans.Kitchen draws should be made to store dishes and glasses .Arms get weak and hard to reach up.Ask for comfort toilets you can add bidet later
Roll in showers are pretty standard in new55 communities .Try to get a vanity in the bathroom where a wheelchair can go under for shaving or for make-up for you .Don't forget handle bars near toilet and shower inside and out
So l have all the handicap feature without it looking that way. And never paid for extras
Best of all no mess or inconvenience .Done in 90 days .
Buy a model with big bedroom in case you needed to add hospital bed.
One more thing put low ceilings in master bedroom and connecting bathroom . If later on you want to add lift tracks .

Just some ideas
Pat

EC,

No matter which route you take, you might want to remember pocket doors. They can be put in most existing homes. It also gives you about 2 inches of extra space. Plus you don't have a door in the way. And for the shower, remember to have several shower heads. A "rain" one overhead. And adjustable one that slides vertically and is hand held, as well as 1 or 2 jets/sprayers strategically placed.

Its good to see you thinking ahead with pro gre ssion. My doc tor has said to keep 2 steps ahead of the di sease. Ha, this coming from a man who left my pwc paperwork buried under a mass of files.

Good Luck and Happy House Hunting,

Since my house is not selling, looks like I'll be looking at converting my 10 foot by 6 foot pantry into a handicap bathroom off the dining room, which is now my bedroom... Do you think that 6 feet wide will be enough? I can utilize about 6x9 of this pantry, leaving enough room at the end for the fridge and possibly the washer/dryer.

Not sure 6ft will be wide enough to do a toilet that is wheelchair accessible, Helen, will it? Obviously the ten foot would--- Are you thinking 1/2 bath or 2/4 or full?

Original poster--normally, BUILDING is much more expensive than buying a house already there. Most newer homes already have wide enough doors for wheelchairs--it's the bathrooms you need to be concerned with.

Unfortunately--it's very responsible to think what you'll need down the road. Definitely ranch style!

Thank you everyone! Great suggestions, I will consider them all. On to Duke today for his quarterly appt. at he ALS clinic. Fingers crossed that his progression is still slow as molasses!

Always look ahead with ALS. He may not need those amenities now but you'll both be grateful to have them in place down the road. Universal design is more common these days and you may even appreciate some aspects should you become ill or have an injury. We're fortunate to be on one level and have an open floor plan. We had to make small adjustments at the entrance thresholds to make the PWC ride over them more comfortable and safe. We don't need a ramp at all. A couple of doorways had to be widened. (I still don't have access to the closets because of narrow doorways) We have a small alcove in our master (intended as a sitting area) which has turned out to be a great place to store some equipment (lift and an extra mattress, etc) It will hold a twin bed later if someone needs to sleep in the room with me. A barrier free shower is a must, it needs to be large enough to accommodate a rolling shower chair in the tilt/recline position and someone to scrub. A handheld shower spray is a must for hosing off the undercarriage and an on/off button on it's handle is ideal. (I like an 8 foot hose) A separate, instant source of heat in the bathroom is wonderful. We have a coil with fan mounted in the ceiling, but infared heat lamps work well too. You'll need room next to the toilet for a wheelchair to make transfers easier or to assist. Look for something without areas that would require tight turns. Levers on doors are easier to manage with weakened hands or even if you're bringing in the groceries. At this point I find that the disruption caused by contractors working in the house is unsettling.

Many have shared their designs here and at P L M. Just check the archives for photos and some great advice.

We're 2 hours away from our Clinic which makes for an extremely tiring day and for concern if a problem arises.We do make the trip monthly so that I can participate in a Clinical Trial but over time and with decreasing ablities the trip is more difficult.

We have had NO assistance from the ALS Association in our area. No loan closet available. MDA has only recently had a representative at our clinic. No support groups are available unless we travel the 2 hours to the Clinic site.
Please check out the availability of the services you'll need before the move.

You will need modifications to your home for him even if he can not quite believe it yet. Building a home is a huge undertaking and very stressfull which is not good for ALS patients. you could problabley find a resale wiith good bones for any remodel. think of what is most important and look at some. I would say one level with easy access to the outdoors or easy ramp addition. large doorways for a wheel chair and open floor plan. the bathroom is most important (always is!) . Bigger is better and that room will probably have to be modified. roll in shower with lots of room, toliet in open area for easy transfers.

We use to go to Mayo in Jax they are great. Clinic started at 8 am and that was horrible for us (3 hr drive) but great people.

If it were up to me, I would buy if there is one available with the bathroom ready.

I would only consider building if I couldn't find a handicap accessible house, or one that could be modified easily... Think no steps, large doorways, and large bathroom downstairs. Open floor plans would be great. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back