Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
McEwensville
This is going to be a fairly long winded post for which I apologize but I believe it is important. Without further ado:

Welcome to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) Web site.
The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System is a cooperative program for vaccine safety of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). VAERS is a post-marketing safety surveillance program, collecting information about adverse events (possible side effects) that occur after the administration of US licensed vaccines.
This Web site provides a nationwide mechanism by which adverse events following immunization (AEFI) may be reported, analyzed and made available to the public. The VAERS Web site also provides a vehicle for disseminating vaccine safety-related information to parents/guardians, healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, state vaccine programs, and other constituencies.

Because of a recent posting on a study concerning aluminum hydroxide I started looking at some information I had found previously. I found the following statement which was released by the FDA and can be found in its entirety here

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Two comments to the docket reported amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) following administration of AVA. This brings to a total of three patient reports to VAERS of a diagnosis of ALS following administration of AVA. The reports involved 1 female and 2 males, ages 27, 44, or 50 years old. Initial symptoms and interval relative to vaccination were reported as follows. One patient had right hand twitching l-2 months after her third dose of anthrax vaccine, and right upper extremity weakness approximately 1 month after her fourth dose. Another patient had an episode of being unable to stand after falling 3 days after his first dose of anthrax vaccine, and inability to stand on tiptoes. The third patient developed diarrhea, headaches, memory loss, low back pain, and foot drop, with symptoms beginning the same Spring as his fourth dose of anthrax vaccine. He developed bilateral lower extremity weakness approximately 22 months after his fourth dose. In these 3 ALS reports, the onset interval between vaccination and signs attributable to ALS varied or is difficult to assess. Also, the number of doses prior to onset varied. The reporting rate for ALS, based on 3 reports from approximately I .3 million persons vaccinated with 5.3 million doses, is 0.23 per 100,000 persons or 0.057 per 100,000 doses. Estimates of the annual background incidence of ALS vary from 0.6 to 2.4 per 100,000 persons (J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1992;55: 1106-l 115 .). The incidence among Gulf War veterans has been reported as 0.43 per 100,000 persons per year and varied by deployment status (Neurology 2003;61:742-749). Background incidence rates per year are useful, but the optimal comparison period is not known and may be less than a year such as weeks or months. Considering all these factors and uncertainties, these reports of ALS do not provide significant support for causality by the anthrax vaccine.

I know for a fact that my data was not included in the database because I didn't know I needed to submit it until yesterday. I would have to believe this applies to veterans mostly but if anyone has been vaccinated with an immunization containing aluminum hydroxide such as anthrax, hepatitis A or B, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, polio, meningitis, typhoid, Lyme, small pox please enter your data. This data was used in part to allow the mandatory Anthrax Vaccination Immunization Program to be reinstated in February 2007.

The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) webpage can be found here.

The online data reporting form can be found here.

I filed my report yesterday and today I received a call from VAERS requesting additional information and telling me that a researcher has been assigned to my report and will be investigating further. They also wanted to contact my neurologist. For all I know this could be normal procedure but I kind of doubt it.

A Follow Up

I received a letter from Lackland AFB stating that based on a review of my records they would like to speak with me for the purpose of follow up. I will talk with them tomorrow and post whatever that is about.

Re: A Follow Up

I received a letter from Lackland AFB stating that based on a review of my records they would like to speak with me for the purpose of follow up. I will talk with them tomorrow and post whatever that is about.

Jeff, just courious as to what Lackland AFB ever came up with. I noticed it was a while back and no one had asked so guess I will take a stab at it. I never had any Anthrax as I before that time when it was a threat but received all the other stuff for SE Asia. Also documented Agent Orange and ionizing radiation. Not sure if any of them have a hoot to do with why I have ALS may be more like winning the lottery than anything else. I am courious of why the military is 2 times the rate of the normal population. There has to be some reason. I bet they know it.
Dave

Funny when I was in the military during basic is when I started having symptoms after my shots.......I don't know what they all gave me, but I know I got the typhoid and yellow fever shots and I didn't even go overseas.
I stopped using arm deodorant because of aluminum....TOO!

thanks for the info;)

When all was said and done I got the following:

Vaccine Causality Assessment:
ALS with POSSIBLE relationship to the anthrax vaccine due to the temporal onset of symptoms in relation to the vaccine.

Possible: A clinical event with a reasonable time relationship to vaccine administration, but which could also be explained by concurrent disease or other drugs or chemicals

My husband was a physician in the AF and died in 2007 from ALS. I believe the anthrax vaccines he received in 1999 and 2000 at Keesler AFB were the cause of his ALS. I pray that they have stopped giving the anthrax vaccines and will never make them mandatory ever again. My husband was 40 when he died and left behind myself and his three children. We never stop missing him.

I knew it I knew it ! I had said to another form member the other day I think it has to do with vaccines, my husband was in the USN and he WAS vaccinated as I am sure all military are especially in boot camp, of course anthrax was not a threat back when he served, as to why some people get als and many do not could come down the the basics of genetics, for some unlucky people the body does not like to be injected with these compounds and reacts over years in an aggressive way for others their genetic makeup is much better able to fight off this invasion.

My husband has FOR YEARS suffered from tingling sensations across his face and head and leg cramps, he would always put it down to tiredness or getting a chill or over working but now he has a diagnoses of probable lou gehrigs I am now seeing his past symptoms in a different light ! thank you for posting this informative information.

@ meersman I am so very sorry for your devastating loss :0( I am very concerned as my son is a captain in the USAF and has been on 5 deployments thus far and I know he has been through a few rounds of injections some making him feel very ill and I have this terrible feeling in the gut of my stomach about all this, if anything affects my son I will be beyond devastated.................................

I would urge everyone to NOT get the anthrax vaccine. One of my husbands good friends was a ALS research physician at Dartmouth University. He also believes that the anthrax vaccine (actually the preservative in it) is the cause of ALS in military members. My husband was part of the ALS study the military had going until 2007. They of course were very interested in vaccination records.

FYI 70% of people with or had ALS are military members...FACT!

@meersman I talked with my son last night and he told me he gets injections all the time and HAS had Anthrax injections even in light of what is happening to his dad right now he seems to think he is ok, I told him that he should be aware of the connection and I sent some links to educate him (not to scare him).

If your husband's friend worked at dartmouth hitchcock medical center in west leb New Hampshire that is where my husband has his appointment with top nuerologist friday to see Dr Cohen I will let you know what happens <<<<<<<<<<<<<hugs >>>>>>>>>>>> to you.

I didn't get Anthrax shots? So could it also be the combo of all the other shots?

As far as he knows, my husband did not get the antrax vaccine either. (Active military 1982 - 1988)

Mine did not get anthrax either as far as we know - he served 1972-1975

My husband did not either and he served actively from 1978 to 1981 United states navy, he was given a lot of injections ...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back