Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
McEwensville
I would like to see every PA representative be a cosponsor on H.R. 5454. My representative Chris Carney is already a cosponsor along with Philip English, John Peterson and Todd Platts. I have emailed all reps that will accept email from non-constituents and ask that my reps office contact the rest. I would like for those of you that are constituents in the other areas to contact your rep and ask that they cosponsor H.R. 5454.

For current sponsor information go to: http://capwiz.com/legion/issues/bills/?bill=11365471

To send a letter to your representative go to: http://capwiz.com/alsa/home/

Below is a letter you can copy and paste if you so desire:

During the ALS Advocacy Days in May this year you may have been visited by constituents, Pennsylvania residents or others affected by ALS. During those visits they would have discussed H.R. 5454 as well as the funding requests the ALS Association is requesting. The reason for my letter today is to again request that you cosponsor H.R. 5454.

On June 12th Jeff Faull who I am aquainted with through the website ALSforums testified to the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs concerning H.R. 5454 along with many other veterans and veterans organizations there to testify for their own issues. The one common sentiment was the support for H.R. 5454.

I realize that it is early in the process but my desire and I'm sure the rest of the veterans with ALS is to attempt to speed this bill along as much as possible.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), sometimes called Lou Gehrig's disease, is a rapidly progressive, invariably fatal neurological disease that attacks the nerve cells (neurons) responsible for controlling voluntary muscles. In ALS, both the upper motor neurons and the lower motor neurons degenerate or die, ceasing to send messages to muscles. Unable to function, the muscles gradually weaken, waste away, and twitch. Eventually the ability of the brain to start and control voluntary movement is lost. Individuals with ALS lose their strength and the ability to move their arms, legs, and body. When muscles in the diaphragm and chest wall fail, individuals lose the ability to breathe without ventilatory support. The disease does not affect a person's ability to see, smell, taste, hear, or recognize touch, and it does not usually impair a person's thinking or other cognitive abilities. However, several recent studies suggest that a small percentage of patients may experience problems with memory or decision-making, and there is growing evidence that some may even develop a form of dementia. The cause of ALS is not known, and scientists do not yet know why ALS strikes some people and not others.

Several studies have shown that veterans are at a greatly increased risk of developing ALS. I ask that you cosponsor H.R. 5454 and give our veterans and their families the help that the evidence shows they deserve. Thank you for your time and efforts.

If someone would like to champion for their state and needs tips, help or information please feel free to contact me.

For those of you that do send an email off to your rep please post that you have and the rep and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back