12/2011
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Carrollton
Hi,

My husband started to develop symptoms Thanksgiving Day 2009. Little did I realize the journey we were about to begin. He had cut his hand the previous weekend and was on pain pills. So the slurring of speech – of course, it was the side effect of the pain pills. But the speech got worse and he also seemed to have trouble understanding complex sentences/questions. To make a long story short, after numerous doctor visits, tests, incorrect diagnoses, etc., he was officially diagnosed with ALS in December 2011.

We have been blessed so far. Even though he has difficulty communicating, has cognitive thinking problems, tires easily and uses a Bipap at night, it has not progressed to his lower limbs. Yet, he is a different man because of this disease. It’s him, but not the man he was. He was always a ‘manly” man, caring, loyal, quick to help and not shy to voice his opinions. Now, he’s still caring and loyal but oh, so mellow. My daughter (who is in her 30’s) is always saying, “I just wish he would get mad at me!” :)

This has been a long and hard journey thus far. I’m also a very different person. I’ve gone through depression, grief, anger – but I’m definitely stronger. I work full time; take care of household chores, maintenance, doctor visits, medications and so on.

It will now be my privilege to take care of this man I married almost 36 years ago and love with all my heart.

Thanks to all that listen and any tips or insights would greatly be appreciated as I am scared to death. My husband on the other hand – carries on as normal as possible and doesn’t care what anybody thinks. :-D

KL,

You sound like a super loving couple and your PALS has spunk! Gotta love that. Congrats on 36 years!

Sorry that you are also facing this beast, but happy you found us. You will find a lot reliable information here but moreover, you will also get support! You are not alone on this bumpy road.

Thanks so much for the message. I probably should have done this months ago, but I'm here now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back