Tips for head mouse and no movement for clicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhiwoman

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
US
State
OR
City
Portland
My mom has a Dynavox from Hospice. The dates on the machine put it at about 9 years old. She uses a head mouse and since she has no movement for clicking she has to use dwell to click. She is endlessly frustrated with her machine and not able to use it effectively enough to communicate her needs. Now she is pretty much refusing to use it and tries to talk even though no one can understand her. Any tips for working with the Dynavox? They had mentioned a chin strap that would allow her to click by slightly opening her mouth- anyone heard of this or have details?

I'm guessing these machines must work better for others. I have tried putting on a dot on using her machine and even with full movement it is really hard! Getting a newer/eye tracking machine is not an option at this point so we are trying to help her out with this one. She doesn't have enough strength in her mouth to click with a stick in her lips either. They haven't offered her a sip and puff control- are those available?

My mom has a Dynavox from Hospice. The dates on the machine put it at about 9 years old. She uses a head mouse and since she has no movement for clicking she has to use dwell to click. She is endlessly frustrated with her machine and not able to use it effectively enough to communicate her needs. Now she is pretty much refusing to use it and tries to talk even though no one can understand her. Any tips for working with the Dynavox? They had mentioned a chin strap that would allow her to click by slightly opening her mouth- anyone heard of this or have details?

I'm guessing these machines must work better for others. I have tried putting on a dot on using her machine and even with full movement it is really hard! Getting a newer/eye tracking machine is not an option at this point so we are trying to help her out with this one. She doesn't have enough strength in her mouth to click with a stick in her lips either. They haven't offered her a sip and puff control- are those available?

Dynavox has a user forum on their website.

http://www.dynavoxtech.com/Support/forums/

That would be the first place I'd check online. Also, does the ALS clinic that your mother goes to have a speech pathologist that might know a few tricks with the Dynavox device that you have that would make your mother's life a little easier?

rhiwoman,

Go to the DynaVox Controls screen, click on the Set Up menu, it should say mouse pause up near the top under Selection Method. Is that what yours says? If not please let me know, there are several things we can try.

What does it do when you or her try to use it? Please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back