Diagnosis
10/2018
Country
US
State
Rhode Island
City
Providence
My sister loves to read. It is her one pleasure. Slowly but surely, the ALS progression is robbing her of this joy. Although she is somewhat of a techno-phone, we have introduced her to the Kindle e-reader. Her continuing loss of the ability to use her hands is threatening her ability to turn the pages though. I thought maybe switching to a Siri (or other voice command) device might work but her voice is also weakening to the point of being of no use for such a purpose. I so hate to see her restricted to audiobooks only, although that surely is an option (but a blessing to have available). Is there any device or gadget out there of which I am unaware? I do so appreciate the sharing that takes place on this site.

I am an avid reader but I love audio books. I've been a member of audibleDotCom since it started. If you fall asleep listening, you can still go back and start a particular chapter. No more eye fatigue and it goes wherever I go. I have wireless headphones (Beats) that sync to my iPhone so I'm not tethered to the source but I can also listen through Alexa or even my Apple TV.

A lot of kindle books ( most? All?) Seem to have audible as an option. I believe you subscribe to the audible service and purchase the books normally. I looked at some current popular books on amazon just now and they all have it.

My library has audiobooks that I can borrow online as well.

My pALS had the joy stick of the wheelchair linked to his tablet so it would function as the mouse. This was much easier than typing or moving from page to page w. his fingers. He used his tablet for a quite some time after he could not use it with his fingers any longer. Hope you find some ideas here that will help your sister.

My DH had the same issue with Kindle books. Siri does not work well with apps, but it sounds as though that is not a solution anyway. There is an app on Android called "Open Sesame", but it's not perfect/easy either. DH has decided that he will go with audio books. He usually uses our Alexa.

I went through the same desperate searches for a way to keep reading when I lost hand movement. Reading with my tobii felt too much like work. I finally gave in to audio books and I'm used to it now. It helps me fall asleep at night. But I do miss the written word.

VoiceDream can read PDF books and/or display the text at your rate, voice and font of choice, so no page turning is required. The down side is it won't work with books you bought unless you remove DRM, but there are thousands of free books on line. It also has a sleep timer.

If she still has foot function or any other muscle, there are also USB page turners that work with very little force. Or a trackpad, or ability switch to start and stop the book if desired. This would be true whether the book is being read from PDF, or from an audio recording.

My husband loved his Samsung Galaxy Tab ( tablet) with Orin's Headmouse Nano . The Headmouse is a wireless head controlled mouse that tracks a metallic dot placed on glasses or face which enabled him to move the cursor, then he had a sensitive switch under one finger to " click". He used it for going on the internet, typing, and with the Harmony Hub used it as his tv and Dvr remote. He didn't use it as an ereader but I just googled and there are apps for using the tablet as a reader. The Headmouse isn't cheap but we were fortunate to be lent one. As long as she has some head movement and even the slightest ability with one finger to press the switch it seems it would work. I am technically challenged so spent 3 hours one night at Best Buy who were so wonderful in helping me making it all work.

We used a jelly bean switch - not for ebooks, but as long as you can move something, finger, toe, knee, head anything you can tap a very sensitive switch with you can control a mobile device. I hope you can find a solution. I'm a huge audio book fan, and have been listening to books for years. I hope you find a good solution - please do update us here!

I am also avid reader. When my thumb could no longer turn page on kindle I got an iPad with Kindle app mounted to chair,
then I got head pointer, which I called pecker head, to turn page and also access inter net,.
when my neck became too weak. I got tablet with eye gaze capabilities which I would get early so you can practice.
when my eyes became too tired to focus on words I turned to audible,.
there is always a way to adapt. Story of als.

AZ girl, is that an actual dog or a blanket ?

real dog, my constant companion

That would be a pretty impressive dog design if it were actually part of the blanket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back