Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
IN
City
Fishers
I've been putting off posting this as long as I could, just holding on to any hope of a misdiagnosis but after my third clinic visit yesterday, it's time to completely accept the fact that I have ALS. I've been lurking on the forums since my original post on DIHALS in May when I first heard possible ALS or PLS. I have since progressed to wearing AFOs on both legs, walking with a cane and having Trilogy ordered for me yesterday. My neurologist said she would provide me with a diagnosis letter for disability whenever I was ready. It just amazes me that no matter how prepared you think you are for anything you could possibly hear during exams, there's always something that sucker punches you in the gut. I'm sad to be here but feel blessed to have this forum for the support that all of you provide. My hope is that I can support someone in the way that all of you have for everyone who finds their way here.

Wes

I am very sorry to welcome you to this part of the forum. I hope you will be comfortable posting more so we can get to know you.

Hiya Wes. Sorry to welcome you here! 8^|

Sorry that we are welcoming you here

WS, welcome. I was afraid you'd be coming back. Feel free to ask, rant, or share.

Darn it, Wes, I was hold out for that 3%! I'm glad you came back once you got the final diagnosis. You are right about this being a wonderful community, and I hope that you are able to convince your wife to join also. Sometimes I think there is hesitation for the spouse (whether PALS or CALS) to join because this is such a safe place for the other to be open with fears and feelings, but please assure her that there are ways to communicate privately and we can certainly help her with that.

Becky
Queen of Everything (depending on the day)

Very sorry Wes but glad you've come back. I'm also 51 and was also diagnosed in April. My symptoms are mostly bulbar along with left hand/arm weakness. I've tried from the beginning to get my wife to join, which she did but has never come back since her initial post. Since you've been around for some time, you know the importance of this forum and how much help we can give one another. I've been in quite a slump as of late but my "forum family" quickly pulled me out of it with their encouragement and great advice. I find I do so much better when I try to focus on helping others.

Chime in often and keep your head up!

Vince

Welcome....we will help you and support you in any way we can. Steph

Sorry to welcome you here, but welcome nonetheless.

Steve

Sorry that you have to be here Wes but you are in wonderful company.

I'm truly sorry, Wes, that you did end up here. This a great forum and your positive and giving attitude will be very much welcomed.
All the best,
Cee

Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming. It's comforting to know that I have a place to come to where others understand when I have questions or just feel the need to rant. This has been a rough week for us since our clinic visit on Tuesday. In the previous visits, my respiratory numbers had been good but this time the inhalation numbers dropped significantly. We were hoping for a plateau kind of day as everything else showed just small amounts of change when we were blindsided by all of this. I was told previously that I had presented as being slower progressing but now I wonder if that is still the case. It was definitely the last thing I expected to come out of the day.

Thanks again for being there and listening.

Wes

Tough news, Wes, but welcome to the club which everyone wishes they did not belong. That said, there is no place one will find more information and compassion than our forum PALS. By the way, you mentioned AFOs and having to use a cane. Have you considered using a Rollator? My loaner for the local ALS Assn Chapter has really improved my mobility. Wish I had tossed the cane(s) much earlier.

Hi Frank, Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation. I just started using the cane two weeks ago which has helped. I can see where the Rollator would be beneficial and will not hesitate to make the move to it when I no longer feel comfortable with the cane.

Welcome. I am sorry to see you here. The people here are so knowledgeable and I have found a huge amount of support and answers to my questions. I can only hope I provide as much information and comfort in the future to forum members as I have found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back