Tillie's Trees

Status
Not open for further replies.
blitzc I use nose pattern recognition to identify them - looking for patterns made where there are patches with no pigment. I totally need this and refer to a file I have of all nose patterns I have seen here when I am not sure. Also when a new koala comes I sometimes have to really get a lot of photos and check hard to be sure it's not just one I haven't seen for a year or two (which sometimes happens!)

Once I get to know a particular koala well, ones that are part of the colony and live her, I can usually identify them quickly by sight, sometimes without even seeing their face. They all look the same yet quite different, and there are size differences you can't see well in the photos. Jordan who is the alpha male must weight 8-9kg, but Bullet only weighs around 6kg, so he is close to 1/3 less weight. Bullet ripped his ear tag out so the wedge missing from his ear is an easy clue when I can spot it too.

Krissy only weighs are 3.5 kg, and Dewdrop, Frankie, Phoenix and Summer are a similar size.

Here are a couple of my nose file images that show you how different their noses can be. There is also quite a range of fur colours from pale grey Krissy to dark burnt brown Jordan so that helps a little too :)

Attachments

• dewdrop.jpg
    dewdrop.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 222
  • Frankie.jpg
    Frankie.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Tucker.jpg
    Tucker.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Bullet.jpg
    Bullet.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 219
MarieLaure that's lovely - our WendyWoog, who has now passed, had one of those electronic photo frames, and she would put all the photos of koalas in her tree into the frame so she could enjoy them as well as a few she printed out.

I know quite a few print them, in fact I bet a lot do!

And that is the idea - if a koala in your tree can bring a bit of joy on a dark day then I couldn't be happier xx

Bullet is moving around the property a lot at the moment and spent a day in KarenNWendyn's tree :)

Attachments

• bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 208
Frankie has been fairly predictable in where he is usually found, but big surprise and he was over in Pittsburghgal Frank's tree for a day! :shock:

Attachments

• frankie.jpg
    frankie.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 217
Then Frankie moved back to 'his' area, and into BlitzC's tree again :)

Attachments

• frankie.jpg
    frankie.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 225
I came across an interesting article, you may have seen it.

“Koala droppings have helped a NSW researcher discover that land
clearing is the leading cause of stress for the native marsupial.”

“High levels of stress hormones were found in Koala droppings.”

“The Western Sydney University research suggests land clearing
causes more stress for Koalas than vehicles, dog attacks and disease.”

"If we don't do something by 2050 koalas are going to be extinct."

Thank you for what you do. :)

Thanks Al - it's very true what is reported there.

The clearing of habitat is what is killing the koalas, and there isn't much time left. They are a good subject for hope here for our PALS as both are fighting against time.

Car strike, dogs and disease are really a secondary result of loss of habitat - if there were dense forests the koalas wouldn't be on the ground, and they would have less stress and plenty of food and be coping with climate change.

This lovely girl Stevie hasn't been around much this year as she left her son Frankie here, and every time she comes near he tries to get close to her so she takes off again.

However, this week she visited Juju's tree which was so nice both to see her, and to see her in his tree :)

Attachments

• stevie.jpg
    stevie.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 222
I'd be stressed too, if someone came and chopped down all the trees in my neighborhood and removed all the grocery stores! :cry::sad:

Numerous animals are suffering around the world, which is why I joined several conservation groups. Continued land desecration, ocean pollution and global warming may cause more than animals to go extinct.

Praise for those who care and try to make a difference, no matter how small. Long live the Koalas! Praise to you, Tillie! :smile:

Peace and Blessings. B.:cool:

Attachments

• Heal the Earth.jpg
    Heal the Earth.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 214
Jordan was spied sleeping happily in Angiegal's tree - what a view :)

Attachments

• jordan.jpg
    jordan.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 211
  • jordan2.jpg
    jordan2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 212
Even though Phoenix is now independent from her mum Racee, they were both sharing Beauty4everyone's tree - you can see they are on opposite sides and climbing down and back up makes them quite a distance apart reallly :)

Attachments

• Racee-Phoenix.jpg
    Racee-Phoenix.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 211
Trying out the new forum layout and I was thrilled I could just drag and drop!
Here is Jordan yesterday keeping an eye on Maxine as they both sat in KarenNWendyn's tree.
jordan.jpg
I like that I can even put images between text!
Here is Maxine :)

maxine.jpg maxine2.jpg

OK now I will add a little video of Jordan and Maxine in KarenNWendyn's tree :)
THANKS DAVID!

Bullet snoozing away in KarenNWendyn's tree.
bullet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back