Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
Miami
My name is Robin and I am a 56 year old woman from Miami. You guys are very supportive, and I was hoping you could give me some feedback on some troubling symptoms I have been having. I started having twitches in November, it all began with my left ankle. The twitches quickly spread to my arms legs, I went to a neurologist that specializes in ALS and he thought it was not likely. He set
me up for an EMG, but I can't get an appointment till the end of April. I have a new symptom, fasciculations next to the left side of my mouth and I feel some tightness in that area. I have general tiredness, but no weekness. My speech is normal, and no swallowing problems. I do feel a tightness on the left side of my mouth, sometimes it's worse than others. I have had the twitching there only a few times, but it scares me. My body twitching is everyday but not bad, any feedback would be great.

Hi there,

I am sorry, but I have no idea what mouth tightness and twitching is. I twitch all the time, but I do not have ALS. Have you read the "Read Before Posting" sticky? That will answer your question about twitching and tightness and how, on their own, they do not relate to ALS. Please keep working with your docs and undertake a regime of stretching, exercise, and proper hydration.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for answering me back, I have started stretching, even my mouth lol. I m trying to keep it together, I take care of my mother who is 90 and my 18 year old daughter. She is in her first year of college. The mouth twitching is what scared me and the tightness it seems to remain in that area.

Hi, Robin again, I am having some issues and they are worrying me. I know the fasciculations are usually nothing, but I am having them on my face near the side of my mouth. It feels tense in that area and going to my cheek. My jaw pops on that side when I eat. But the feeling on the left side of my face is what really bothers me. I'm eating and drinking fine, but I'm really fatigued. My nureo could not schedule my EMG till end of April' but I'm on a wait list. I have been twitching since November everywhere. I'm also a diabetic. Feedback please.

Hi Victoria-

There's not much more this forum can offer you at this time. It really does only provide the most basic of information about ALS/MND. Your doctors are the ones who can provide you information specific to your symptoms. I'd like to make sure you have read the Read Before Posting post, as it contains lots of information.

One thing you can do is contact the neuro's office and ask to be placed on their wait list for last minute cancellations. Let them know how much advance notice you need to get there. You can sometimes get in sooner if they need to fill an appointment spot for some reason.

Thank you for responding, I'm on the list. I see many questions being answered, but not mine. I feel more apprehensive now.

I think it's likely because there's not much that people can add. You're seeking reassurance, and the replies and links don't seem to be doing the trick. We can only repeat that it doesn't sound like ALS, but you are asking again- and there's nothing that can be added.

Last edited:
My mouth twitches when I am really tired. I would as noted above really look to sleep, stress, nutrition, hydration, exercise....all that boring but important stuff. Being a "sandwich caregiver" is a lot, but if you don't look after your basic health, you won't be able to help your mom and daughter as well. And since you are a diabetic, it's all the more important to have a good regimen and stick to it. Even a meeting or two with a dietician or fitness coach, joining a class or online group, etc. can be of great benefit in getting back on track.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie, im very stressed and I think that may be part of this.

Hi Robin here, my neurologists office called today and they had a cancelation. So I'm having my EMG on Monday. I should be happy but I'm scared. How should I prepare? I read if the machine makes a lot of noise it's a bad sign, is that true?

No it isn’t. Emgs are noisy always unless you are dead. You can not possibly tell anything from the sounds unless you are a trained electrophysiologist and you shouldn’t try. Be a relaxed as you can, follow the examiner’s instruction and don’t use lotion the day of the exam. It makes it hurt more for some reason. If the doctor is not your neurologist you may not get the results right away. That wouldn’t mean anything except it is the policy there

Thank you Nikki, I will try and relax. I can't wait till it's over.

Robin here again, I had my EMG and it was clean. I want to thank all of you for your advice and reassurance. I believe this forum is extremely important, because it helps those of us who are unsure to be given true and reliable information. I will continue to support this site monetarily and if there is any other way I can help I would be honored.

Thank you for the update and support, Robin. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back