Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TN
City
Nashville
I have had a symptoms for a couple years, stiff hands, atrophy of interosseous muscles of hands, fasciculations, and now I have atrophy in my thenar muscle which I hear is a tell tale sign of this disease - see photo. I was hoping it was carpal tunnel but I have no symptoms of that and I got a NCS test done that did not pick up carpal tunnel. I also got EMG done on thenar and they said it came back as normal. But if this was not a neuromuscular neurologist could they have missed something?? Please help!! I cannot function, and have 2 young boys I am so worried. And just want to understand what is going on and why I have atrophy.

g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures are not helpful. did the doctor confirm atrophy? If they did ask them why. If they did not you don’t have it.

no I don’t think the emg missed anything but assuming for the sake of argument it did why not think it missed carpal tunnel? Follow up with your doctor and ask them what next

I did they referred me to a neuromuscular dr but can't get in until August!

I understand the wait can be frustrating, but sometimes that is the nature of the medical system. I would recommend stepping away from the forum until after your appointment. The forum can exacerbate fears even though 99% of the posters on this sub-forum do not have ALS. Until after your neuro appointment, get out, go for walks, and occupy yourself with friends and family.

There's not much you can do about the wait, unless you want to ask if you can be put on a list for cancellations in hopes of getting in early. In any case, you're not evidencing ALS and your thumb looks fine.

Until August then.

Mod note, past threads here:

From your past posts, it seems as though you've already been given a diagnosis of PN, which can explain atrophy. It sounds as though this has been going on for years. While you fear ALS, an EMG would have picked up signs well before now if it had been in the picture.

You don't mention any failure.
From the years you have been here you know that photos are not helpful to us.
I can only suggest you work with your doctors, ask to get on a cancellation list and you may get in before August.
But please just think on this - if they thought you had something sinister you would be fast tracked for an appointment. Instead they gave you one but you have to wait so that is a big indication that you are not presenting anything of note, still.
We need you to now stop posting here, and let us know the results of your appointment in August.
Please understand, we can't hold your hand for months.
Your doctor can help you if you find the waiting to anxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back