Diagnosis
01/2022
Country
US
State
MA
City
Taunton
Hi, My Dad was diagnosed last month with als but he's been showing symptoms for almost a year now. This am he woke up throwing up bile and dizzy. Could this be a complication from als? Or maybe a stomach bug? I wanted him to go to the hospital. He's very stubborn and said only if he's not better by tomorrow.

This does not sound like ALS. It is natural to want to attribute any new event to ALS but we are not immune to all the other things people get.

it could be many things. If he has pain fever or is quickly dehydrating he should probably be seen. Rather than the hospital though unless he is very ill what about his pcp? Or at least a virtual visit? An urgent care center? Hospitals here are starting to do better but I would still avoid the ED if humanly possible

Not ALS unless he is reacting to any meds, or is very CO2 overdosed.
But more likely to be something else entirely. Hope it is just a 24 hour bug.

Thanks for your feed back!

Please let us know how he is. It occurs to me that if he started riluzole within the last month he could be one of the unfortunate ones to have a liver reaction. If this is a possibility he needs a blood test. If you are seen at mgh they should be willing to email you an order to go locally - they have for me

My dad threw up bile a lot at night. We took him to the hospital but they found nothing wrong. An ALS nurse suggested we spread out his feedings more. We fed him 3x a day (he was on a feeding tube). We were giving him his last feeding at 5:30 pm. We moved it back to 9:30 pm even though we had to wake him up to do so. That helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back