Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Waterloo
My hubby was diagnosed 10/2008, progression is continuing. For the past 3 months he has been clearing his throat, he says it feels as if something is stuck in the back of his throat. This has continued and as of last night it became much more obvious that something is going on, he is complaining and clearing his throat constantly. He said he feels like he is choking to death. He thinks it is the meds making his mouth dry, he uses bi-pap with humidifier at night, last night I noticed a gurgling sound in his throat while he was asleep. Anyone had anything like this happen before.

I've been dealing with similar symptoms for about a year. Some days are worse than others. In my case it is usually phlegm that causes the issue. This would quite often cause a laryngospasm which makes you wheeze for breath and last 30 - 45 seconds.

My neuro put me on Baclofen for the spasms and glycopyrrolate for secretions which helped some. The other thing I've found helpful is to make sure to get lots of fluids. If I get less than about 1.5 liters (48 oz) I'll almost always have problems the next day. I also steer clear of dairy later on in the day. I've tried taking Mucinex but for me that didn't help. I will on occasion take an over the counter antihistamine to ease post nasal drip if needed.

Beyond that there are still mornings where I scare small animals and children in a 2 block radius. Other things to watch out for is heartburn/acid reflux which can aggravate things. If his FVC is low you may want to ask about a cough assist. In my case I don't use a BiPap so I can't speak to any issues related to that. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back