Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
uk
State
Strathclyde
City
Glasgow
I posted regarding my partner having unusual symptoms before - See 'Do symptoms suggest MND'
I was re-assured she probabaly did not show the correct symptoms of MND by the kind replies I received.

She still has doubts and on a visit to a homeopath yesterday was told she had a Goitre
(lump) on the front of her throat.
I believe this is more likely to be her thyroid but wondered if you could tell me if a lump
on the throat is typical with MND or not.

She is seeing her doctor this morning.

Thanks
Yani

Hi, Yani ... I have never heard of a lump on the throat ... or anywhere else .... being associated with ALS.

A goiter is definitely connected to the thyroid, and (I think) can be easily treated these days.

Hope her visit to the doctor gives her some helpful answers.

BethU

Hello again Yani

The goiter is most often due to a hyperactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). It can also be caused by hypothyroidism if the hypothyroidism is due to low levels of iodine, but in develop countries like the UK, that is usually not the case (developed countries get plenty of iodine in their diet via regular, iodized table salt).

Her compromised thyroid can explain most of the symptoms (including her twitches) that she is having. She should definitely go to a physician so they can determine what has caused her thyroid problem . . . a problem that is typically manageable.

Take care and go give her the "good" news. :)

Thank you so much for this information.
You have all been so helpful at what is a difficult time for
us.

I will pass this on to her and hopefully it will help to calm her down.

Regards
Yani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back