Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
This is in response to the comments by CALS that if diagnosed they would then suicide

I was going to say interesting none of the PALS feel this way but I guess any who did by definition won't be here.
I understand how damaging to the spirit being a CALS is. My mom's battle lasted almost 10 years from her very first symptom ( no vent btw) but I am hurt by the thought that as soon as you are diagnosed you might as well kill yourself and you are going to be a burden and the implication your life is over for all intents and purposes. Some of us live independently for an extended time. I still do. Even those who are not independent include a number who are living life enjoying and being enjoyed by family. Many are traveling. My travels have spanned 9 time zones since diagnosis
And then there are PALS who are doing advocacy. Famous ones like Steve Gleason and OJ Brigance but regular people too. There are a lot of PALS quietly participating in research. There are PALS like Eric Valor doing research

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Nikki, stay strong.
Hugs Gem

Nikki, I think CALS' thoughts on suicide are mostly a reflection of our fear. We don't think we can be as brave as a PALS, and we don't think we're strong enough to cope with the disease on a daily basis like you do.

But as we've seen with PALS, people do rise to the challenge.

Perhaps the CALS talk about suicide is not good for PALS to read. I guess it's depressing.

I agree with you 100% Nikki. Makes it look like once you are diagnosed your life has no worth. That's just not true.

Vince

Since this is a rant I am going to say CALS should then confine those comments to the CALS section Mike. Yes PALS read there but my thought is read at your own risk if you are reading a section that is for another group. CALS may need to vent in their area. PALS might want to in their subforum
The original thread was about one specific PALS who turned out to have a pre existing issue due to losing her husband. It was in the right place so that anyone could feel free to comment. It took an unfortunate turn

>Perhaps the CALS talk about suicide is not good for PALS to read. I guess it's depressing.

yup, but i like to have their perspective too ...

I think what the conversation shows is how we all value different things in life and our coping ability is different. My son asks why I dont get freaked out when steve shows progression....I have told him I have lots of experience with very sick people. That has taught me ways to get through this thing called als. Some cals may not have developed or needed these in the past. This is a difficult disease if you have zero help. What I have found though is. sometimes help comes from unexpected places if we are willing to accept it.

Since this is a rant I am going to say CALS should then confine those comments to the CALS section Mike. Yes PALS read there but my thought is read at your own risk if you are reading a section that is for another group. CALS may need to vent in their area. PALS might want to in their subforum
The original thread was about one specific PALS who turned out to have a pre existing issue due to losing her husband. It was in the right place so that anyone could feel free to comment. It took an unfortunate turn

Absolutely agree. I should make my posts to PALS more positive and uplifting.

PALS lives are definitely worth living. Even a fast progressing PALS has some life to enjoy and some joy to give to others.

I like the idea of segmenting the threads according to the type of issues in chronological order. We start out as DIHALS, Newly Diagnosed, and move to PALS and CALS, then finally EOL issues. We don't have an EOL area, but that seems needed. It's also an issue that is especially distressing for...for anybody.

Unfortunately suicide is sometimes a newly diagnosed issue that I think is separate from end of life. And that was the case with the two current threads. Choosing to end one's life because of what is probably going to happen is different than being at a point where things as they are are too much to bear ( or you are at the point if you wait any longer you risk being unable to act). I said probably because some PALS end up dying suddenly while still quite able usually from something else like heart.

Maybe some PALS have a hard time with End of Life issues though I think most are either comfortable with them or anxious to learn.
Death was not really the issue for me it was the implication ( that you did not make- your post was rather the reverse) that once diagnosed you might as well pack it in because you are no good to yourself and just a burden to everyone else

Last edited:
gosh, I didn't read all the pages, maybe I should have. it is a very touchy subject even between healthy people. You have good points though--cals should post sensitive things in the cals section and pals should read at their own risk. same with the pals section. we may all be friends but we have different perspectives and need to be sensitive to each other. we are all hurting.

Suicide can not be an option simply because it is sin. I have struggled with weather not taking the meds or the tube or any other option is also suicide. I have decided no it is not. It is simply letting things progress as they will.

To preempt the question, it is sin weather you believe it is or not, truth does not need us to believe it to still be true.

> Suicide can not be an option simply because it is sin

I assume that you mean it is not an option for you, correct?

> Suicide can not be an option simply because it is sin

I assume that you mean it is not an option for you, correct?

I know what you both mean, Pete and Greg. I was raised Catholic. But personally, I think that's a discussion best left to a Morality website. If we were to examine moral values here, it could get contentious. Besides, if anybody could truly get to know MY morals, they'd probably become catatonic from the shock! :) :) :)

Yes please. Let us not debate personal beliefs

Greg, Yes for me. It is not that I have not thought about it. But it is this conviction that keeps the act from happening for me.

Mike, we all our truly disgusting if we base things on our own goodness or morality. That is never the issue. The talk about suicide can not be separated from "morality" or personal beliefs as everyone believes something and it informs their decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back