Thoughts on Chemical Exposure causing ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soonerwife

Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
Hi Guys!

I am curious how many PALS were exposed to chemicals over an extended period of time.

I am also curious to know if anyone has any thoughts on prolonged exposure to chemicals causing this type of neurological disease.

Cliff was exposed to many chemicals over his 31 yrs on the job. Xylene is one that he worked with in later years. I remember him telling me how they had no protection from this chemicals getting into their system.

He would reach right in to a bucket of this stuff.

A friend of his sent me a picture of some cleaner that they use without protection that says corrosive right on the label.

I would like to do some research and help in any way I can to find a link in what causes this monster.

Any information you all can help with would be much appreciated!

Kim

My husband grew up on a farm where they used chemicals on a regular basis.

My PALS had no chemical exposure.

For the past 30 years, I lived on a golf course where many chemicals were sprayed frequently. They also used Roundup on our grass. I had a small dog die and the vet said he suspected chemicals were involved. She was only 3 pounds and 6 months old.

So, yes, I believe chemicals are one of the things that tip us over the edge.

My theory has always been that sporadic ALS is like an empty glass. Toxins, brain injuries, possibly vaccines, and most likely a host of other things gradually fills up the glass until the disease takes root.

Heartily agree with Kim. I've seen it stated elsewhere- Genetics loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger.

I had prolonged exposure to chemicals- pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals (particulate), molten metal fumes, industrial cleaners, solvents, oxidizers, acids, fumes from various fuels and chemicals. It's cumulative, and likely people have genes that are either more or less susceptible to these as the initiator of an already lurking neurological disease.

I wish there was a singular identifiable cause/trigger for MND, but it seems like there are so many different things that might cause it- which is why it's been so hard to track down. FALS are entirely different and need no "trigger" except time.

Stanford/the CDC are studying a variety of chemical exposures, which are asked about if your PALS signs up for the CDC registry. There is a long list.

I did a pilot version of the Stanford mega-list of possible factors, the integration of which was limited due to the CDC's outdated database structure at the time.

I agree, chemicals deplete factors that would otherwise fight off other triggers/drops in the jar.

I've always suspected the agricultural 2-4D that I sprayed on the farm as a kid...

I removed Asbestos before danger was known

I also grew up in a cluster area: Champlain Valley. They claim algae in the lake might be a contributing factor. The valley is loaded with ALS, MS, Parkinson's, etc.

My PALS was in Desert Storm, so I think he had chemical exposure and who knows what in some of the vaccines that he got. He also has FTD.

In Viet Nam i worked from remote fire bases, some were established for over a year or more, possibly two or three.

I have pictures of a few... in the pictures of the bases you do not see one single blade of grass or a single weed growing anywhere within the barb wire perimeter and inside. Bare dirt.

I subscribe to the theory of genetic predisposition + environmental trigger(s). The latter could include chemical exposures or other toxins, head injuries, or maybe even some viral infections.

After five years of intensive studying, my view is that ALS is an exaggerated response to cellular stress. Genetic part makes the stress granules too sticky and any environmental factor causing cellular stress can be the trigger. (Disclaimer: I am only interested in sporadic TDP-43 ALS; other variants may have other mechanisms.)

I spent 38 years with a large fire department in Ontario, Canada and the last 10 years on the Hazardous Materals Response Team with the best equipment available, and two of us come down with ALS. The Workers Compensation Board said there was no connection. I disagree.
Al

30 years of building artificial limbs. Daily exposure to methylmethcrolates, styrene monomer, isocyanates, toluene, dibenzole peroxides. I could go on and on. What could possibly go wrong.
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back