Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. I'm a 40 year old male, healthy to this point, no family history of ALS.

On Jan 3 I started to experience an odd feeling in my left leg throughout. Crampy muscles in calfs and hamstrings, leg heaviness, and feeling like it's less present than other leg. That's hard to explain, it just fells somewhat desensitized, for example, when I flex both legs, I feel the left isn't as engaged/tight as the right. This seems to be worse at night when sleeping, a little better in the day. Don't think I have weakness, but feels like it as leg is shaky and sore.

Over the next few weeks as worry set in, pain/soreness begin to show up throughout body. Arms are sore, left arm index finger very sore, shoulder/knee/elbow joints are sore, lower back very sore, other leg sore (but not desensitized like other). I don't appear to have any strength loss, but it takes a lot of energy to do things, muscles are sore after use, I have what feels like a lot of joint clicking. I feel shaky when doing anything that requires exertion of my muscles.

On Jan 16 I developed pain on the right side of my face around eye and through jaw. I feel like it's hard to swallow, although don't choke. Around the same time I began feeling headachy and lethargic at times. I also have developed a blotchy skin all over, sort of like a very mild sunburn warm to touch. Pressure on my skin leaves a mark that's slow to disappear. I feel like I have wasting in muscles although admittedly I don't know what to look for, I'm just feeling muscles differences between the sides and feel like muscles are not what they were, although my weight is unchanged.

Symptoms have continued to this day. Energy is very low, shakiness high, and I can't seem to concentrate on anything else now. High anxiety and worry are at play here for me, and I know some of this could be attributed to stress and anxiety response. I've been to Dr. and bloodwork was normal, neuro exam passed, said he'd send me for EMG if I wanted, said he didn't expect anything from it. Notwithstanding that these things seem like a lot of issues, are there things here that should have me worrying about ALS? Thanks for the help.

No.

Couldn't hurt to try a nasal steroid like triamcinolone, available via the drug store, on the theory sinus is playing a role whether awake or in sleep. Likewise, you can video your sleep and see if your breathing is regular/you look comfortable. Could be time for a new pillow or mattress. A virus is certainly a possibility, but I'd try "walking it off," literally -- first. The skin issues you mention could relate to dehydration, which is very common in this weather.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back