Status
Not open for further replies.

wewillbeatthis

Distinguished member
Hello,

Ok my ALS family I once again need some advice and a session to vent...

Dad had a weekend full of back pain due to him really doing things that he should not have done on Friday.. In any case this meant that he was tired and in pain on Sunday Fathers Day :-(... Well this morning he awoke and his back was fine and he was in a good mood of course something had to go wrong. My little cousin took a bath in the tub and I forgot to wash it out and therefore the tub became an ice skating rink. I am sooo smart I could hit myself...

In any case this on top of dad being hard headed he decided to hang onto the bar get down on one knee and get the bar of soap (instead of washing with shampoo and waiting for one of us to get it later) So he his foot slid on the slippery tub right ot from behind the other and down he went. No blood thank goodness. However, he did have a red mark on his arm and a little bump on his forehead. He refused to go see the doctor or goto the ER and said he was fine and did not go down hard or very far.

I am worried that he should go see the doctor cause he fell and his head was involved. Is it necessary each and everytime one falls to go to the doctor and or ER? Espcially when the head is involved?

Also, what can we do about this tub, we have bars, treads, and he refuses to use anything else. Mabye he is right perhaps baby soap on the bottom of the tub does make it much to slippery. For this then I am an ass for not thinking of washing it out better.

Each and everytime something like this happens I begin to think right away it is not a normal fall it means it is getting worse... I need help on dealing with all of this and helping him to speak out what is going on.

For instance yesterday he would not do things he normally would do. He would not walk on the stone driveway, to the car without holding onto someone, or on the grass. You ask why and he says cause it is dark and can't feel the ground. What does this mean?

What do we look for to understand if things are getting harder for him?

Jen

wewillbeatthis said:
Hello,

Ok my ALS family I once again need some advice and a session to vent...

Dad had a weekend full of back pain due to him really doing things that he should not have done on Friday.. In any case this meant that he was tired and in pain on Sunday Fathers Day :-(... Well this morning he awoke and his back was fine and he was in a good mood of course something had to go wrong. My little cousin took a bath in the tub and I forgot to wash it out and therefore the tub became an ice skating rink. I am sooo smart I could hit myself...

In any case this on top of dad being hard headed he decided to hang onto the bar get down on one knee and get the bar of soap (instead of washing with shampoo and waiting for one of us to get it later) So he his foot slid on the slippery tub right ot from behind the other and down he went. No blood thank goodness. However, he did have a red mark on his arm and a little bump on his forehead. He refused to go see the doctor or goto the ER and said he was fine and did not go down hard or very far.

I am worried that he should go see the doctor cause he fell and his head was involved. Is it necessary each and everytime one falls to go to the doctor and or ER? Espcially when the head is involved?

Also, what can we do about this tub, we have bars, treads, and he refuses to use anything else. Mabye he is right perhaps baby soap on the bottom of the tub does make it much to slippery. For this then I am an ass for not thinking of washing it out better.

Each and everytime something like this happens I begin to think right away it is not a normal fall it means it is getting worse... I need help on dealing with all of this and helping him to speak out what is going on.

For instance yesterday he would not do things he normally would do. He would not walk on the stone driveway, to the car without holding onto someone, or on the grass. You ask why and he says cause it is dark and can't feel the ground. What does this mean?

What do we look for to understand if things are getting harder for him?

Jen

Hi Jen,
I have no idea what to tell you,, other than you need a hug. I am so sorry that your father fell but you can't blame yourself for everything that happens to him. Your human just like the rest of us. You do your best and thats all you can do. As for why he says it's dark and he can't feel the ground,, who knows. Maybe the fall in the tub made him afraid of every place that makes him a littl uneasy.
Wish i could be more helpful ,, but all i can offer is a shoulder a ear and a prayer.

Love and Prayers
Marlo

hi Jen. First thing to do if he falls is make sure he is still breathing OK. Next check for bleeding. Small cut no bit deal. Big cut uncontrolled bleed call 911. Check his eyes. If pupils are large or one is large and other is small call 911. Check ears for discharge which could indicate skull fracture. Is he coherent. Ask name what day it is etc. Any sign of confusion call 911. Any obvious breaks in arms or whatever call 911. I think the Red Cross and others still give first aid courses down there. I know you are busy just coping with all this but a first aid CPR course is a good idea for everyone not just a caregiver. Hope this helps and tell your dad AL says not to be so stubborn. I've been stubborn and know that it is dumb.

Hi Jen,
I think your father is behaving normally because I do the same things. My onset started in my legs and whenever I overdue it, the next day I'm wiped out. I no longer attempt to walk on stones or grass because I'm just not steady enough to walk on those kind of surfaces without the risk of falling. If his feet are like mine, I don't have much feeling in my feet anymore and it is hard to feel the ground. As far as walking in the dark, I can't do that either because it hinders my sense of balance. Hope this helps,
Gordie

Marlo thanks for your kind words I am hard on myself but this is because I am the oldest of a very strict Italian family and this is what I am used too. Your thoughts and prayers are very much appreciated.

AL, I will make sure to tell dad what you said. The first aid course sounds like a great idea. I don't see any of the things you mentioned so he must be fine thank GOD. You know we spoke about it and I got a better idea of what happened and it seems that he really stopped himself before something bad could happen. So we will let this one go and hope that things in the tub go well and that he is not to nervous now and causes a fall.

Gordie I must say that your feelings and dads words sound very much alike. Dad also from the start acutally this was his first issue. Very little feeling on the bottom of his feet this is what caused them to think that it was something different. Dad always has to wear some type of shoe he can never be bare footed except when he is sleeping or at the beach sitting. The second they hit the floor bare they give like schokcs. The doctor says this is because the single is confused. Whay you say about the dark and the stones and the grass is what he says. I think that each time a little fall happens this is what makes him even more scared. On really good days and if no one is around he will do it. I guess he is more secure and does not care how slow or odd it looks the thing is that neither do we....

May I ask Gordie when were you diag.? What are you currently dealing with as for ALS issues, and what medications or exercises do you take/do?

Jen

Jen,
I was diagnosed 4/5/06, however I was dealing with this several years prior to my diagnosis. I had been doing alot of physical therapy to strengthen my leg and abdominal muscles and exercises for balance but after I was diagnosed, they recommended more stretching than anything else. Currently I cannot walk without assistance and I'm beginning to notice weakness in my hands and wrists. I also deal with extreme fatigue. I'll probably need to be fitted for a power wheelchair at my next clinic visit. I'm taking 100mg of rilutek a day along with baclofen and zanaflex for spasticity and the following supplements, vitamin c, vitamin e, beta carotene, coq-10, and b-12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back