Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Maine
City
Auburn
I'm 23 and started feeling weakness in my calves, which was only noticed after standing in shower, noticed they were not as strong, kind of teetered on them? this started happening last Spring.
Then in September, noticed fasciculations right above my one knee. It was on and off, sometimes subtle, sometimes violent. Then eventually that moved down to my calf - now less on knee, more on calf. Now sometimes on other calf too. The odd time I'll get them in my arm too, and even less frequently my face and even less frequently than that, my stomach. I noticed when I'm sitting on the side of my bed (which is low to the ground), the fasciculations someties increase in my legs (especially my left, where it's been the biggest problem).
I read that the fasciculations move once the muscles die in a particular spot - this seems to be the pattern maybe?
I feel my muscles are tired from the most menial stuff. And my legs feel weird, definitely weaker at the knees, it's hard to explain - and my calf muscles feel doughey?
I've read that fasciculations in ALS mean the disease is really progressing?
The fascic's are becoming more frequent. From once-in-a-while, to sometimes, to nearly all the time. I'm very scared, yet I'm coping (or attempting to), of course.

Anyway. Does this point to ALS? With all of this time passed (nearly 10 months - 10 Months Ago with the Weakness, 6 months ago with the Fascics) would the doctor be able to tell some clinical weakness, or even atrophy? My GP didn't see it yet. He did some thing with Pins too, I guess to see if any muscle degeneration. What worries me the most is that after performing that test, even though he said he doesn't see anything, he still booked me in for a Neurologist appointment, which I have to wait for a bit to get in to. If there's nothing clinically wrong, why even book it? I told him I'd take his word. Anyway...

I'm really worried. I figure this is the best place to go while I'm waiting for Doctors to look at me. Does this possibly sound like ALS? My calves are twitching like mad as I type this...
Would love, love, love some feedback from you wonderful people.

Also, is there a correalation between Head Trauma and ALS?
When I said I was worried about ALS, my doctor said, "well, you're really young, Wyatt. So be happy about that! But the only thing I'm taking into consideration is the amount of head trauma you've incurred" - I'm a very athletic guy, and I've suffered quite a few head accidents (through basketball, soccer, fighting, skateboarding). A really high amount, actually.

WorryWortWyatt,

Fasciculation happens for a lot of different reasons, most are pretty benign. I would keep the neuro appointment, and hopefully she or he will be able to give you some more idea of what's going on. It seems that athletic people are a lot more prone to get muscle twitches of all stripes, so you are certainly not alone.

In regards to your question about head trauma. No one knows for certain what causes ALS, although like cancer, it is likely a number of risk factors that contibute. Among those that have been explored include genetics, toxins, viruses and bacteria, and trauma. Don't stress yourself worrying about it though. Thousands of people suffer head trauma every year. Most go on their way. My brother took a sixty foot fall in a parachuting accident, and lived through an explosion that threw him 15 feet. Lots of head trauma, but I'm the one with the weird symptoms... go figure :)

Take care,

Robert

Hi, Wyatt ... doctors can be pretty cryptic, but what your doctor's statement sounds like to me is exactly what he said ... that he is concerned about the numerous head traumas you've suffered. and wants a neuro to check it out.

Your symptoms don't sound like ALS to me. Twitches are a very minor part of ALS and are not early symptoms. Also, ALS twitches don't happen all over the body.

Remember, like most people on this forum, I know nothing about medicine, except what I've experienced and what I've read on this and other forums.

Alcohol abuse can cause a LOT of neurological damage, usually in older drinkers, so I hope you're winning the battle. Are you in AA? If not, my suggestion is that you deal with your drinking (get to a meeting and get a sponsor) and follow through with the neuro to find out if you have suffered damage from the head trauma.

Good luck!

P.S. Do you put the towels in the laundry basket when you're through or back on the towel rack?

BethU,

Thanks for the response. Well remember, I experienced a bit of weakness before the fasciculations started. Also, the fasciculations occur about 75% of the time in my left leg, specifically my calf. The rest of the time in order of consistency, it's the right leg (sometimes fasciculating (a word?) at the same time as the left), the right arm (mainly the bicep), and then the face, and (only a few times) the stomach. But again, mainly the left leg, the leg that seems the weakest to me.

And as far as the towels, only sometimes do I throw 'em in the laundry - I know, pretty sick of me!

And as far as my drinking, I'm doing a lot better. As funny as it sounds, I think I can do this without AA - yes, I've been. But anyway...

I hope that all those factors haven't caused something neurological! Even if it isn't ALS.

Thanks for the response, BethU :p. Feel free to respond again, please!

WWW,

The neuro exam that has been scheduled for you was probably done just to be on the safe side. ALS is a rare disease and a very, very rare disease for someone your age.

You could have a pinched nerve or brain damage. Either one of those would be preferred over ALS. You could also have a myopathy, neuropathy or any number of disorders. How about throwing MS into the mix?

It would be beneficial for you if you were to get your mind off of ALS. Odds are greatly in your favor you suffer from something else.

Good luck with finding an answer.

Zaphoon

Zaphoon,

Thanks for the reply.
Well whatever diseases that can be ruled out by an MRI, I don't have, because I just had an MRI about this time last year! That's also what's really scaring me.
Are there any statistics of ALS in people in their early 20's? How unlikely is it really?
Anyway, yeah, I'm definitely going to the Neurologist - I almost don't want to, in fear that an EMG will come back to haunt me. But alas, it needs to be done.

WWW,

MRI's are not all that conclusive. Some forms of MS may not show on a brain MRI but may on a spinal MRI. EMG's are used to help determine a wide variety of diseases and disorders, not just ALS.

It is extremely rare for folks your age to have ALS although it does happen. Look at it this way, 50 is about the average age for the disease onset. Fewer people at 40, fewer people at 30 and far fewer people at 20 and below. I don't know the exact statistic but if you had that number, would it be of any comfort?

The neurologist is going to have a pretty good idea if whether or not you have ALS after he/she has completed the exam. Prepare yourself for good news.

Zaphoon

Wyatt. I removed your post because it has absolutely nothing to do with ALS. I don't think you have ALS and if you ever mention that sick crap on this forum again I'll ban you so fast your head will spin. You've been warned. This is a forum for sick people. Not sicko's.

AL.

Sorry. I didn't think it was really that sick, actually. My intention was not at all to come off as such. I was just being honest, and infections & viruses are caught by way of THAT, so I was just wondering if it was plausible in the case of ALS (seeing as some Environmental Factors, bacteria, etc.). Anyway, I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back