Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
My SIL called me this evening upon my husband's request.

She has been taking him to acupuncture, which he says is relieving some pain. That is great. Anything that helps or he thinks helps is wonderful!

In the meantime, my SIL tells me he has been crying lately. I asked her if she had been giving him his anti-depressant. Guess what? NO! WTH? I calmly told her that he would cry, laugh, or be angry at inappropriate times if he did not take his medication regularly. I've explained this to her a gazillion times!

I know she thinks she is trying to help him with natural healing, but I've tried to explain to her why he needs each medication. So, it seems she has been weening him from pain meds, anti-depressants, and spasm meds. That's just sooo fantastic, I think I will have a party! I can't wait til he comes home and he has no acupuncture treatment, as we can't afford it and then I have to deal with getting him back on the anti-depressant, etc!

She had to get off the phone because he started crying again! She really doesn't understand. :x

However...I AM grateful that she is taking care of him to give me a rest! :smile:

Maybe your husband recognizes that he needs his meds, hence the prompt for his sister to call you?

It sounds like she is still at the grasping for straws stage we all went through. It sounds like she just don't get it. Or don't want to. You have to explain for the 550 time that he needs his meds. It takes so long to get them in his system not to mention his uncontrollable spells. Tell her they check the levels of them in his blood. Good Luck!

Perhaps SIL suffers from the same affliction that my used-to-be church suffers from. Depression is not understood, so it is feared, like spaun of the devil. Their ideology was get off the meds as soon as possible because meds are bad. Their way, it is better to be depressed than on meds and admitting you are depressed. Like my husband, depression means you are MENTAL. If you are mental you should be institutionalized, feared, spaun of the devil, bla bla bla.
Perhaps SIL will become afraid of, or frustrated with the resulting behaviour that she will accept the fact that the meds are important, they are providing a solution to a very troubling situation. Perhaps she will start giving the meds before your poor hubby comes home.
My mean side hopes that everyone who tries to treat depression like it is evil, or like it doesn't exist GETS IT!
Then I wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back