Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
wa
City
baldivis
About 4 months ago i started getting extremely fatigued, I just wanted to sleep. All the time. I jad pain in my upper and lower back and sternum. I started getting pain in my right arm down to my right leg, all up my neck. Now i have extreme muscle fatigue in my arms and legs. Mainly my forearms, wrists and ankles. I feel like its a mission to even lift my legs or hold anything up. I get twicthy muscles all over my body and have started getting cramps in my forearms. With the research i have done, it says als can often begin with extreme fatigue and pain. I went to a neutologist who did a physical exam and said it was fine but i am currently waiting on a full spinr mri. We know when something is not right with our bodies. Im a 32 yr old female with 2 young boys. Scared.

Believe the neurologist, this does not sound like ALS. It does not begin with extreme fatigue and pain, or with "feeling" much of anything, it begins with parts of your body failing.

As we say here, please read the stickies! The stickies here are much better than random nonsense on the Internet about ALS, and I have seen a lot of nonsense. Dr Google is not your friend.

Thanks for your reply Lenore, yes i did read the stickies however ive also read lots of other reputable websites on dr.google.. which has led me to believe als negins differently for everyone is this true, and not everyone has the same symptoms? Considering asking for an emg. I have no idea how much they cost here in aus.

I did not find that quote after clicking and reading all the links I could find on that site. What I did see was they spoke of early symptoms being what we describe difficulty buttoning a shirt etc ( failure not feeling) livestrong btw is an offshoot of a cancer organization and not focused on MND

Your neurologist apparently said no ALS. For what it is worth we ( strangers on the internet) agree it does not sound like it. You wanted ( supposedly) our opinion. Please do not argue with us. Instead work with your doctor. If your mri is unrevealing consider rheumatological or viral perhaps? If you need an emg your doctor should order it but it does not sound like he thinks it is the case

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I do value your opinions :) i was just trying to explain to you guys why i decided to write in even after reading your sticky notes.

Here it says about the fatigue and cramps etc. I read somewhere that as your neurons begin to die and not work as effectively the other areas of your muscle has to work harder to carry the load which is why fatigue and pain take place.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160723-192337.jpg
    Screenshot_20160723-192337.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 319
True but failure comes first. Example my ankle failed. I felt fine, my calf failed I felt fine. The weakness is now worse and my leg gets tired. My last post on this thread. Believe me or not, your choice...

Last edited:
Msims the stickies are our official position.

You can read what you like elsewhere, but we won't argue against any of it.

We put a lot of time and energy into writing the stickies and agreeing on what is in there.

I've been involved with PALS for several years now and personally seen, or supported here hundreds of PALS.

I don't see ALS in your description. It's hard to explain to anyone what it is like when you really know a disease - you can take one look at a person, see them walk, rise from a chair, pick something up, speak for a moment - and you know the disease process is there. Your neurologist would have a pretty good idea if you were presenting with a terminal, progressive neurological condition. Really he would have.

All the best

Emg

Hi im going for a consultation with a dif neurologist as mine is on holidays. I am having my first nct/emg at the appoinment. Will he give me results when im there or let me know what is happening? Or is there a process where they have to analise it all.
Very nervous :(

Re: Emg

It depends. If the doctor ordering the test is performing the test, you will probably find out more right then. If not, you will most likely have to wait until your doctor reads and interprets the test in comparing it with his or her clinical exam.

Is a 'normal' emg the exact same as a 'clean' emg??

Yep. If that's what you got, you're all good! Congrats!

Thank you. It was normal.
He said i have fibromyalgia.
I dont think much of the diagnoses as i find fibro to not have any scientific evidence and its like being placed in the too hard basket...

Congrats, you are good to go, that's wonderful news for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back