Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
I have recently moved and it has been a very good thing

What I learned:
As soon as you see the need even in the future do it. I put it off. I managed and it is ok but it would have been a lot easier to accomplish earlier. I am incredibly fortunate to have had a lot of help.

Being in the new place ( smaller, no stairs, newer and easier to take care of) is conserving energy

You don’t need all the things you have kept and you won’t miss them

You will take things you don’t need and immediately get rid of them. You will take things you don’t need and keep them anyway.

Having discovered things that are easier because you moved you will then start finding ways to make things even easier. Is it easier that the laundry is on the same level now? Yes. But getting a rolling laundry hamper made it even easier

Not everyone needs to move. If you are staying put pretend you moved /are moving and downsize / declutter. Then revisit your routines with an eye to saving strength. Just because you can do it the old way doesn’t mean you should pretend you have progressed another step and do it that way. When you start thinking about doing a task that used to be automatic try to make it easier even if you can still do it

I would be happy with my downsized home even if I were fine Some of this is because of my family experience maybe. Possessions just don’t matter the way they used to The changes in technology and society have changed things too. This is my first move without many boxes of books and papers

Last edited:
I sold/donated at least half of my "stuff" and I was a minimalist anyway. My housemate brought most of his stuff. Once I arrived, I ended up giving away at least half of my clothes that had already been weeded down. My closet has enough space to park my PWC. I had two outlets put in the huge closet and lots of shelves for storage. I ended up selling my dining room table (sat 10) and made do with my round kitchen table that fit perfectly into my new kitchen. I couldn't wait to get rid of all my work-related papers and scanned everything I needed to keep so they are stored electronically.

I'm now in the process of typing up everything I do including meds, supplements, financial stuff, etc. I plan on sending my pictures to my niece because I've scanned in the ones I want. Fred is going to help me to through the kitchen after next week's doctors appointments because there are so many things I kept but no longer use.

I found an excellent meal service called Healthy Chef. I eat 90% organic and they do organic and free range everything. I love it so I order every week and Fred does, too. It's a blessing to no longer cook AND the grocery shopping is 75% lighter now. Just fresh fruit, snacks, and a few specialty items. Food waste is pretty much non existent.

I probably have around 20 books left. I read, then give away.

Great thread, Nikki. It inspires me to take it to the next level.

I admired the way you handled your move Kim and was inspired by it.

I had down sized my clothes a lot and I too have room in the walk in closet. I made a corner of it into a dressing area with a seat

I was scanning photos but wasn’t finished before the move. A project for the winter I hope

I am glad your meal service works. I haven’t found a good solution for that yet

You and I are fortunate to be slow progressing as we had time to do this unlike those on an out of control express train

Yes, decluttering stuff and workflows is fun! I'm selling and giving away all the books I've already read.
The best advise really is that making everything easier goes for healthy persons as well.

Wishmobbing, books are the one thing I can not give up, no matter how many I have. We just keep adding book cases and taking up more wall space. Our house will fall into a giant sink hole with the weight of collected books at some point.

Last edited:
I find holding print books more difficult so prefer ipad reading now. That allowed me to get rid of almost all books but I respect anyone's desire to retain them.

I do think downsizing and simplifying can be freeing for healthy people too. When that ( hopefully distant) day comes that someone else has to deal with your belongings you will have done them a great service. In the meantime fewer things mean less work and less space required

Every time I take a load of clothing and other items to Goodwill, I feel so much lighter and freer.

When I first decluttered it was a high yield event as there were a lot of obvious things that had to go. Not much thought required. I swore I heard my house sigh with relief

The other big event before the move started was 1800 got junk. They took away some useless old furniture and the junk the attic and garage had acquired.

I got rid of the rest gradually and it felt good but it is a law of diminishing returns. My last pass through clothes netted zero. I am hoping after spending a year in my new home that another round will yield good returns as I see what I really don’t use here

Shiftkicker, I feel you on the books. I love books, read a lot, usually don't read twice. Than I got a smartphone...
The last year I had them in boxes, didn't miss them, now a clean cut. I can't decide which ones to give away, it's either all or none. Hope to find good homes for my favorite torn up paperbacks. I sold anything that gained more than a book on those soulless reseller platforms online. Hauled sick boxes away last week. Flea market this Saturday, that's more fun. I'll have low prices and will make bundle deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back