Not open for further replies.

Bortplates

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi. For the last year plus, I’ve noticed that ny left thigh is noticeably thinner than the right. The calf and lower leg appear fine, but the thigh is what’s concerning.

I showed my pcp last year and she did see the difference but given no weakness, she just said to monitor. I had neurology work ups for other things but those exams were normal. I’m just not entirely sure why my leg is losing its normal size (unsure when this all began).

Is atrophy typically one of the first symptoms? I can’t say I have many others outside of under eye twitching lately which I know can be explained. And is smaller size without weakness a concern? How long with ALS do areas take to atrophy prior to symptoms developing and condition progressing?

I’m actually by chance having an EMG in June for headaches and neck stuff. Maybe I’ll ask about this.

Hi there-

It sounds like this has been an issue for a while now. You posted about sensory issues a couple years ago and were going to speak with an orthopedist and neuro. What was discussed with you at that time?

The EMG will see ALS if if it exists, which I very much doubt. Many people have legs of different sizes and you evidently had normal strength and movement.

Nothing of note has ever been identified. The EMG is for headaches and neck - will that show stuff with this leg?

In general, do people see atrophy as an early sign without other markers?

Thanks.

One other thing. I’ve started to have tightness in front right ankle and leg and top of foot. Haven’t had any foot drop yet after a few days, but it’s weird.

So couple that with the thinner leg and under eye twitching off and on for weeks. I dunno.

Curious what you think of my replies when you have a moment.

Please understand that you are asking folk to speculate on sensory issues, which is not what ALS is. Your EMG is next month- within weeks. You will get answers specific to your questions then by people who can see you and will have test results in hand.

Understood. I read the “read first” item, but want to note that under my right eye has felt super tight and also twitches very consistently for the last month or five weeks. Occasionally the left eye will as well. A lot of my upper face and head feels tight.

I know twitching alone isn’t exactly specific to this disease, but do you get anything from this description?

All we can do is keep referring people back to the "Read Before" post about twitching, remind them we are not in possession of your medical files , nor able to examine you in person (also, we are not doctors). Your neuro did not see anything concerning last exam. You also have an upcoming emg. Please understand the person you should be posing your questions to and listing your sensory issues to is your neurologist.

While we are sympathetic to your not having answers, it is pretty clear this forum can not provide you those or the reassurance you seek, so you must return to your doctors for any further care.

What I get from your description, Bort, has nothing to do with ALS but you could try hydrating, electrolytes, and humidifying your air/changing your filters. And a good unscented moisturizer with stuff like vitamin E, coconut oil, aloe.

Yes, the EMG can "get" motor and sensory nerve damage past your head/neck. The examiner should be made aware of your current issues.

No I do get it, and I understand the impossible situation it puts you in. I’ve just read other posts where there are times that posters get some feedback and thoughts beyond “see a Dr.” I just was curious if there was anything beyond that from the community, of if it sounds like ALS, etc.

And you got your answer. It's "no, it doesn't."

Well the EMG was normal. Still having tightness under the eye and twitching in places but that’s that for now…

Excellent! Thanks for closing the loop. Again, I would tinker with hydration, sleep, etc. and see how far that can take you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back