Country
IND
State
Karnataka
City
Bangalore
Hi
Can anyone help ?
My husband 65 years young, (ex Indian Navy), physically very active till diagnosed and even after, has pseudo bulbar palsy. Diagnosed May 2017. The last couple of months he has lower limb weakness- uses a walker. Is on Edaravone and Rilutor.
Of late he has thick phlegm forming and finds eating and swallowing v difficult. Has refused the PEG .
How can one thin the phlegm. Any suggestions

Welcome and sorry to hear about your husband.

You can do a search from the search link up top (e.g. search on "phlegm" and also on "mucus") but some of the methods people use here include pineapple or papaya juice, soda, warm or hot liquids like coffee or tea, lemonade, changing furnace filters, ensuring room humidification, raising the head of the bed, Alka-Seltzer (if not in conflict with other medicines/conditions). If he can still cough or spit it out at times, it's best to do that regularly rather than waiting until it builds up.

Of course, it's also best to avoid foods that cause more phlegm. For some people this is dairy. For others, strong spices may help or hurt, or some of each. You might keep a diary to see what foods work best.

He is not on BiPAP as yet? For some people, a suction machine may also help.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie for your quick response.
Yes BiPaP has been advised- intermittently, and through the night, but he manages to have it probably only for an hour each day. He finds it v uncomfortable.
I will check on how to get the suction machine.

Regards
Anjali

He will need the BiPAP to help his breathing, so if you let me know more about his machine, mask type and settings, and what he finds uncomfortable, we can suggest ways to make him more comfortable. It is always best to start with it during the day, while doing/seeing something else, like TV or nature or games.

I would start with that, first, as breathing support can decrease mucus as well by relaxing the muscles that do the work of breathing/coughing.

hi, I am new here, but my husband has the same problem with phlem, and we control it with NAC supplements and walmart brand mucinex 1200mg extended release every 12hours or you can get liquid from doc. Lots of water and no dairy. Good luck to you and God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back