Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NC
City
Winston-Salem
My beautiful sister died very unexpectedly of complications of ALS in the middle of the night last night. She had just been in the hospital for replacement of her feeding tube, and the Hospice nurse had examined her a few days ago, and no red flags were raised except for the fact that her blood pressure was unusually elevated. When I arrived for a visit on October 20th I was startled to see that she was doing the sort of guppy breathing that preceded my mother's death, but her neck was hyperextended due to rigidity, and neither the ER doctors nor her nurse seemed to be concerned about it, so I decided her breathing issues were a result of altered posture. Her life had become pretty tough in the last month, so I feel enormous relief at knowing she is at peace at long last, but it is still a shock. I am still surprised that neither the hospital nor the Hospice staff seem all that familiar with issues that face ALS patients, even when that hospital has a wonderful ALS department. I guess this is because it is still a pretty rare disease, but this lack of knowledge really adds an additional burden to ALS patients and their families.

For all of you caring for an ALS patient, be sure to give them a big hug and tell them that you love them every day. The bravery, stoicism and grace required of ALS patients as they navigate this journey leaves me feeling truly humbled, and it will inform the way I spend the rest of my life. I'm so grateful that I got a chance to spend a week with my sister and tell her how much I loved her. Fly free at last, Alison Doane--

I am very sorry for your loss. Glad though that she is free of suffering

Peace and comfort to you and the rest of the family

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss of your sister. I am glad you were able to spend time with her and tell her how much you loved her. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharon

So sorry for your loss. Peace and love.

Hewitt, very sorry to hear of your loss, but happy that Alison is at peace and your time with her was a huge factor in that. Your point about the lack of awareness/knowledge of ALS within the health care system is well-taken; we can only each do our part to improve what we can. Peace to you on your journey from here.

Best,
Laurie

I'm so very sorry for your loss xxx

So sorry for for your loss Hewitt! So nice that you were able to spend some time with her and give her your love. May peace be with you and her family.

So sorry for your loss. Wishing you peace.

Sorry for your loss. hugs

Sorry for your loss.

Angie

Sending you good thoughts!

So sorry for your loss. Hugs in this hard time,
Adriana

So very sorry for your loss Hewitt. I'm thankful you had that time with her before she past. Yes, she is free. Remember the good times. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Hugs,

sue

Sorry I mistyped the first line of that lovely old hymn - my laptop has tiny fonts that are difficult for my aging eyes to read. It goes "the strife is o'er, the battle is won", and its message of triumph over physical adversity and death has cheered me up many times during this long struggle.

Fixed it for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back