the story behind Tillie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd far rather outrun a snake than a bear any day!

I did hold a koala when I was little at some tourist attraction.

I wouldn't attempt to hold one on the property - they are smelly things that would probably rip your skin open climbing off you ;)

Still the friends of the koala places that look after sick and injured ones must hold them often...

gotta tell you Tillie, I always thought that song was about kangaroos!

gotta tell you Tillie, I always thought that song was about kangaroos!

uh oh, I'm getting lost Barbie, you thought which one of the songs was about kangaroos?

I always thought waltzing Matilda was about a man fighting a kangaroo...

ooh, I am a little embarrassed....

>I always thought waltzing Matilda was about a man fighting a kangaroo...

"The title is Australian slang for travelling by foot with one's belongings (waltzing, derived from the German auf der Walz) in a "Matilda" (bag) slung over one's back"

I was a swagman for a couple of years ... long, long ago

don't be too embarrassed Barbie ...

I grew up here, sang or listened to that song a million times and had no idea what 'waltzing matilda' meant, and didn't even wonder what it meant!

Then to complicate things further, we had those commonwealth games and out came the 6 ton truck version of Matilda as a kangaroo, and well who wouldn't get confused!

Max says the title is aussie slang, but it's really old aussie slang, trust me no one over here says stuff like that ... I bet Max only ever said he was a swaggie waltzing matilda as a joke after a few drinks ... ;)

Well we are becoming quite enlightened aren't we?

>Well we are becoming quite enlightened aren't we?

Don't *ever* try playing Trivial Pursuit w/ Sandy!

Attachments

• DSC_0683.png
    DSC_0683.png
    643.3 KB · Views: 240
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back