The state of my State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin, yes... from 1975 to about 1985 were the days of real fun along the beach line
as I call it. Bellaire Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, North Redington.
Reddington Beach, Madeira Beach, Treasure Island and St.Pete Beach.

All the little beach bars all the way down to St..Pete Beach. I was involved with one
of those bars. It was fun and the greatest times of my life. But.... now from
Clearwater Beach down to St. Pete Beach on Gulf Blvd is a concrete canyon of
multi-story condos and hotels. All the single tarazzo floor two and three room
beach cottages on the east side of Gulf Blvd are gone.

Are you talking about the store in Pueblo Village?

Anyway., here's a hint.... I went to a going away party for Steve Lamb who was
on his way to serve 27 months in Federal Prison. "A Smugglers Ghost."

I'll put it this way, Jimmy Bufftet had a lyric in "A Pirate Looks at Forty"....
"I made enough money to buy Miami but I pissed it all away."

I'm currently writing a story about those times.

Whatever.... I remember those days.

Last edited:
I want to read the story

Yes indeed, Al, I don’t doubt for a second the adventures you (we) had. Square grouper, anyone?

My memory of that period is, for good reason, hazy, so the BBQ place could have been located in any one of that string of beach towns. I made the run from Sarasota to Clearwater every day, and there were several outlet stores, so it could have been anywhere along Gulf Blvd.

One of many crazy stories: I had finished bringing all the swimsuit inventories to the stores one summer day and was headed back home in the big yellow step van over the old sunshine skyway bridge at rush hour, when the van ran out of gas.

I was so zonked from my friendly lunch with the ladies at the IRB store that I freaked out and abandoned the whole mess in the middle of the bridge. I walked off the bridge leaving a line of cars a mile long behind me and hitchhiked home. The van made it home the next day and for some unknown reason I didn’t get fired.

Number one rule back then: when you were at the beach, you kept your eyes peeled for “things” that washed ashore. I had several friends who struck gold, and we were usually set for several months. The Wild West indeed, even that far north.

Kevin and Al, I was one of those spring breakers at Treasure Island in 1983-86. Loved that beach...little, cheap motels with room for several college kids in one room, cheap bars, no crowds like on the Atlantic coast!!! It's not the same anymore.

So here up north in Ohio, we have also figured it out. Large group events were bannned first week of March and then colleges and public schools shut right after that...one of the first states to do so. Our Republican governor Dewine did not have my vote to take office, but he will get it the next election! Proud to be a Buckeye O_H_I_O!!!

However, we too have allowed freedom of religion and right to bear arms become interrupted way too literally. Gun stores open and Mega churches still holding services. One church in Butler county has continued to hold services with hugs, shaking hands, etc as witnessed by video. The parishoners were interviewed to say that God has given them immunity from this virus. REALLY?

Cathy, That sounds like the old rednecks in the South who handled snakes because of one misinterpreted verse in the Bible. Of course, some of them died.

One church in Butler county has continued to hold services with hugs, shaking hands, etc as witnessed by video. The parishoners were interviewed to say that God has given them immunity from this virus. REALLY?
Bad Tillie - if we could only get them to isolate together they could fizzle out and it would be just fine ...

Too much of anything is not a good thing. Obsessive religion can
cause psychosis and… bring the birth of dangerous cults.

Religious Psychosis is a mental disorder that causes abnormal
thinking and perceptions. People with this lose touch with
reality.

Masses of people experiencing religious delusions are preoccupied
with religious beliefs that are… not within factual basis or science.

But… faith, belief and prayer with common sense and moderation
is using God’s greatest gift to humanity… our brains.

His intent was for us to use them.... not let them be used by false
religious leaders, organizers and prophets.

Thousands attend, listen, pray then generously give their tithes
and donations so that one and his/her family live in mansions and
fly around the country in Leer Jets. Really?

Last edited:
Eric in LA I'm glad I live here too. I check the stats every day and note that for such a large population California has fewer COVID19 cases per capita than a lot of other states. We've had a stay at home order since March 19.

I was very concerned about 45's tweets encouraging these protests, and especially the tweet encouraging Virginia to rebel because their 2nd amendment is "under siege". Just sounds like an incitement to gun violence.

What I hate to see is irresponsible people infecting our much-needed health care workers. As for us, we are staying in.

V

I’m glad I’m on the west coast. I think the west coast governors are behaving appropriately.

You're right Karen, the left coast governors are doing the correct thing. I love how they're teaming up to get better deals on the PPE, instead of bidding against each other and driving up prices due to zero leadership/coordination from Washington. The funny thing about 45's tweets encouraging the protests is that he is encouraging them to protest the guidance coming from his own administration. What a moron. Well technically that's not the term, but I'll refrain from using others.

I can no longer listed to the "briefings." If Dr. F. is on, I watch on YouTube later at night or the next morning.

This is a very sad time.

I’ve followed Dr. F since the ‘80’s. He’s a brilliant man and a dedicated public servant. We’re so lucky to have his expertise.

Testing.... so far 1% of our population. The government that could accelerate testing to
millions a day if the order was given/signed. But.... 1% is a comfortable percentage
apparently for one or the few at the top. More testing... more numbers, sky high numbers
might make one or the few uncomfortable after all the boasting, denying then attempting
to walk back what was said with long filibustering replies.

Yes, we are fortunate to have Dr. F. And.... it's great the top can't get rid of him or
there'd be political hell to pay. And they know it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back