Status
Not open for further replies.

Theresa2004

Distinguished member
If anyone had the chance to catch to repeat of this show, I know it is difficult due to time changes and cable stations, the reporting was no less then awesome. They talked about Lou Gerig's life, his eventual entrance to baseball, his skills, and his record. They had footage of him, as he broke record after record. They then interviewed a biographer who had written a book about him and had discovered letters between he and his doctors when he started to become ill.
They then covered Mike Weir and Elizabeth Grandbois, including some very heart wrenching interviews from both of them. It concluded with statistics, costs, and what medical insurances between private and provincial support is covered. They stated you are looking at about 100,000.00 out of pocket expenses.
It was a very well balanced, emotional and to the point report. As I did with Larry King, I wrote via their site how impressed I was, and I hope they will be willing to support us as time goes on.
I am uncomfortable asking people for money, but I sure as heck am not shy about asking for awareness.

Further to the thread to Larry King, and what I said to Granny about thanking the media which airs stories such as they did, I will cut and paste what I wrote and their reply back. Read from the bottom up.

Subject: RE: To The Point Feedback

We really appreciate the fact that you took the time to send us your
feedback. The Lou Gehrig-ALS Special was the most important show we've ever
done because the stories were so personal. We're used to dealing with the
fun & games of sports and this show really put everything in perspective.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From
Sent: July 4, 2005 8:05 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: To The Point Feedback

Comments: I watched this evening's story of Lou Gerhig, and was totally in
awe of how you and your guests provided such a well balanced, in-depth
presentation of Lou Gehrig as a person, an athlete, a patient. ALS has
touched my life so much so, I joined the Walk Committee in Peel/Brampton
to raise awareness and of course funding. Our biggest battle has been
media support; but tonight, you succeeded where many other outlets failed
us. I loved how you wrapped the segment up with facts and figures everyone
needs to hear.
Elizabeth and Mike are to be commended for allowing the world inside
their private hell. Keep up the good work. In my opinion, this report was
as good if not better then any in-depth analysis and presentation by 60
Minutes, 20/20 or Larry King.
I hope you will support awareness next year as we prepare for our Regional
Walks in June.
I don't impress easily and I am often critical of what was missed or how
something could have been improved. Your segment was picture perfect.
Thank you so very much.

Very well written, Theresa. It does help to give thanks when it is due. I liked what you said in your letter.
I have written to my local paper thanking them for the acticles about ALS and about the Walk.

Good idea Theresa. I fired off an email to them as well. Squeaky and noisy wheel gets the grease. Maybe if enough of us write them they'll do another story. I think we taped it on VHS if anyone in the area missed it and wants to see it.

Well done and well written, Theresa!

Cheers!

I saw the program also, very emotional,a glimpse of what is yet to come for many of us .
You're letter was right on Theresa.
Stay Strong Everyone

Now I'm confused. Larry King has not done a show on ALS yet, right? Because I emailed them requesting they do. I gave a few facts and let him know that it is something that is of much more interest than they might think. I hope they didn't already air this (I'm asleep before the show comes on so I don't see it often). Melissa

Hi Melissa. Larry King per the other thread did a show on diabetes with Mary Tyler Moore, with discussions about stem cell research. So I emailed the show to suggest a connection with Lou Gehrig. Grannny thought he did one around Lou Gehrigs birthday, but I couldn't locate the topic on their site where you can retrieve the archives topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back