Status
Not open for further replies.
Just now knowing I’m not going back to that job somehow I am finally permitting myself to sit with the enormity of this loss.

So many thoughts and feelings going on.

On the lighter side, I had enough to drink at my going away party that someone told me I said “ Slutty” when I meant to say “Sunday”. Crazy! I didn’t hear it at all.

Lenore I happy to hear you really enjoyed the going away party. LOL

Hugs as you work through this ordeal, or at lest the first part of it.

She’s in there somewhere :ROFLMAO:

I’m headed to Northerm Minnesota for three nights with a friend in the morning. “Up North” as we call it here in the city. Brian’s and I use to go up numerous times per year. I’m looking forward to hearing Lake Superior at night again.

Ah, I love the sound of water at night. For me the sound of waves on the shore is the best!

It was a good trip for sure. It was difficult at times going to the places again that were so much a part of my life with Brian, but also oddly therapeutic. The weather was good, which is always iffy this far North. Minnesota as a state has an unpredictable climate for sure, but when you are at the Canadian boarder it gets all the more, and we lucked out. No mosquito or fly frenzies yet even!

I finally, after three plus months changed cell service to my name only, wiped Brian’s phone and put it away to sell, and closed his individual accounts. I was ready. It was not pleasant but not a total heartbreaker either. I think two months ago it would have made me hysterical.

I am as ever torn between feeling sort of okay and wondering if I’ll ever be truly okay again. He did truly surround me always and never left my thoughts completely. I’ve seen on the Facebook pages “ the second year is harder because it’s about the reality of life as a single woman, not just the grief”. Welp, I sure see the reality now of life as a single woman for sure.in addition to needing to find a new identity, there have been the practical concerns.

Fully realizing the simple fact, and all it implied that the only things I had with my own name on them were my car and a checking account has been interesting. Everything else was authorized user, Transfer on Death Deed, beneficiary on death, ( house, which some will recall was screwed up and had to be dealt with! ), etc but I was not owner or responsible party. Twenty first century me, with a job since age 14, was in a pretty traditional situation indeed in some respects.Thanfully my credit rating turned out to be more stellar than I thought, otherwise it’d really be messy.

A weird thing popped up today. I had a friend who moved from here to California about 5 years back, maybe more. She was almost more my husband’s friend then mine. I recently unfriended her on Facebook and another site. I was peeved because when I posted I finally had time to go on dinner cruises and see movies, she replied that it sounded like I was “looking for an escape” and what sort of therapy was I doing for my loss.

I won’t, won’t be told how to grieve. Nope, not doing it. She was also someone who stopped calling Brian when she came to town. About six months after hIs Dx, she basically scolded him for not going to a party because “it was only going to get worse”. Geee, so glad she told us ALS is progressive! Who knew! :cautious:Anyway, you get the picture: not the brightest or most sensitive bulb...

She texted me tonight asking why I had unfriended her. You know what? I think I will just be beotchy enough to not reply. I have no energy for her. She doesn’t deserve any.

Tomorrow, I stay home and clean house. The idea of having time to do that on a weekday is mind boggling! After two years of barely time to breath, I’m sleeping later and making my own schedule. I decided I start seriously pursuing another position September 1, and then I throw myself into it for sure. I’d like to have a position come the new year or sooner, but Imdo plan to look and choose wisely. There are many opportunities in my industry, age, etc are not a big factor, but also some scary situations you’d best avoid.

Another random thought, I was drinking a little too much for me, I’m not really a big drinker normally. I scaled back. Grief will not be drowned, jumped over, or denied. It yells at you to live through it- and you’d best obey its commands.

Lenore so happy you had a great time up north. I was concerned it if would be too difficult given the circumstances.

As to the cell, I did Brian’s about 3mo’s out as well. Must be something to that timeline.

As to the “friend”. Either don’t reply or give it to her both barrels. “Why did I unfriend you? Let me count the ways, “it will only get worse - no Sh*t Sherlock, we already knew that, Who quit calling when in town??, Looking for an escape?? How about geee I finally get to leave the house and now I’m supposed to stay home? You get the idea. :)

Sounds like a good plan for work. I’m praying the right thing, at the right time will come along.

Yeah, I’ve been having a shot, wine or a drink lately too. Only one, but wasn’t much a drinker so for me, that’s a lot. I also went head first into the candy jar for the past several months, I’m climbing back out. You’re right, we have to live through the grief.

Hugs my friend.

I went for both barrels with the former friend. I thought it might be a teachable moment if nothing else. I’ve actually been pretty forgiving with the folks who made themselves scarce. With her, she was just s little too clueless and there were too many compound fractures to keep that friendship afloat.

I’ve about had it past my eyeballs with people who think they get the kind of grief you feel for a partner because, you know Grandma died in 1994 at age 91 and it was really hard. Respect the grief, all loss hurts but Not the Same Thing...

Absolutely!
Does “ go with both barrels “ mean you told her how you feel about her attitude and then let go ?
The only right way through grief is each person’s own way.
Hugs

Yes, exactly that. I explained the issues going back to 6 months after Brian’s Dx going forward to telling me I was not grieving correctly. Now, I’ve let it go.

She was never terribly significant to me anyway. We are different kinds of women. She is a former figure skater who is very focused on her appearance, comes from
Money, never really been in a committed relationship and is just now entering into a business career position in insurance. She’s in her early 40’s. She and Brian got along great. No, no hanky panky :). I swear vanity was a bond with those two lol.

Lenore, good for you giving her both barrels. She’ll either be indignant or she’ll finally get it. Let’s hope its the later.

Now you can move on knowing you did not ignore her and the ball is in her court to apologize.

You are right, too that the death of a spouse is like no other. You cannot explain it to someone, they just have to live and learn it on their own.

Hugs for a wonderful day

Lenore I'm also a big believer in 'you have to grieve your own way'. May way was pretty different to that of so many, and I never try to tell people maybe they should try doing grief the way I did. But it was mine, I owned it, I lived it, I worked through it.

I love that you are owning yours - go girl, do what ya gotta do!

First thing out of bed this morning, I finally cleaned up the table beside the fancy recliner that Brian has not used for over a year. The recliner is where his original recliner was, but it’s a special one that was intended to heal with needs having ALS.

Brian spent about 8 months mostly in that recliner, but after his final hospital stay late last summer, he moved to his hospital bed. On the side table, we still had his laptop (could no longer use), his Kleenex box, hand lotion...

This morning I pulled all that up, put it in the office upstairs. Then I sat in the chair and watched a documentary. Baby steps...

Last night I’d been out and just felt downright despondent at his absence as I made my way to Target and then to home. How could this happen? I got past it, felt better but still to bed late and woke up early.

The world is not a stranger to me, but I feel like a stranger in it. The world stayed the same, but I am changed beyond recognition.

I ran into someone a few days back from high school. We last saw each other maybe ten years ago, both had a little time and got lunch and caught up. She was practically in tears herself about Brian but then we turned to happier topics. She just welcomed Twin grandkids, son getting married, my scheduled trips. As we were wrapping to she said “You are so different than I remember! Still a lot of fun with all you’ve been through but so different!”

Yup, I know. Here’s hoping the “different” comes out “all new and improved”.

I felt (and can still feel it sometimes) that I was looking at the world from the other side of slightly frosted glass.
Different indeed and I believe we can turn this into becoming a better person - I know I was determined not to become a bitter person just because I went through something effed up. I have less patience for what I consider petty issues with people, but I think I have gained other things.

Time will tell I guess - for now just one day at a time ☺

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back