Status
Not open for further replies.
New article:

CLEVELAND - University Hospitals doctors created a groundbreaking procedure to help ALS patients breathe better. The FDA approved 8 years of research, 4 weeks ago, and their first patient had surgery just days ago.
Initially, it was "Superman" Christopher Reeve who started the ball rolling on the push for more research on the procedure. It's called Diaphragm Pacing. Doctor Raymond Onders remembered when Reeve came to them asking about the research.
"He said, I'm a quadriplegic on a ventilator. If this works I get a better quality of life. It's a simple operation you guys have done a lot of research on that. When it worked, he actually helped inspire us really to help other patients," said Onders.
So the research continued even after Reeve's death in 2004. Doctors realized this procedure could help ALS patients. ALS is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. These patients suffer from a deterioration of muscle movement. Breathing becomes very hard. ALS has no cure and is eventually fatal.
After trials and success, including with Reeve, University Hospitals got the FDA approval after 8 years of research.
The procedure is becoming widely known. So much so, ALS patient Fred Kesselman, from Memphis found out about it and came to Cleveland to give it a try. Kesselman was diagnosed with ALS in October.
"I couldn't walk 100 feet without stopping."
Kesselman was the first patient after FDA approval to get the Diaphragm Pacing procedure just days ago and it's already helping him.
"I'm ready to go home!"
University Hospitals is the first and leading place, world-wide, doing Diaphragm Pacing. While there is no cure for ALS, doctors hope this procedure will help patients live longer, better lives. If you'd like more information about the procedure, click here: www.uhhospitals.org

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back