Reason
Other
Country
US
State
WA
City
Puyallup
Okay, I am new to this sort of forum so please give me advice if necessary.

I am the founder of a non-profit organization called The Lighthouse Community. Please take a look at the website www.thelighthousecommunity.org .

The Lighthouse Community creates a way for family, friends, co-workers and even strangers to make confidential tax-deductible donations to friends or loved ones struggling with catastrophic illness. Click on the "Learn More" link at the very bottom of the homepage to see 2008 financial details.

Bottom line, people will help if there is a convenient way to do so. We are ready to serve clients in all 50 states. Please take a look at the site and give me your feedback.

Thanks,
DLREED

I read in the small print that you reserve the right to direct funds as you see fit. Your blurb says that you had 433 donations and gave money to 433 clients. What assurance do I get if I give you $10,000 for Joe Blow that he gets it all?

AL.

I like Al's question.

Zaphoon

Last edited:
And some people call me the Devil's Advocate. LOL.

AL.

I like you guys already. Great question. Well, the "small print" is a disclaimer mandated by the IRS, not us. The disclaimer is the reason why donor advised donations can be tax-deductible. The idea is to look at the past transactions (2008) to determine how future transactions will likely be handled.

The problem is that if there is a written guarantee that a donation will go to so and so, the tax-deductibility is jeopardized or worse. Ironically, I posted 2 - $5,000 checks this morning. I guess it comes doen to the old Reagan quote, "Trust but verify". So I am working hard to offer trransparent information but it will take a while. Any ideas for me on this issue?

Dale

Thanks for the speedy reply Dale. I like it when I see someone post a link like this and then comes back to monitor it and answer questions. As you are no doubt aware, there are a lot of people out there ready to scam people with illnesses. We try to be vigilant.

AL.

Thanks Al. We have been working on this project for almost 4 years and have served clients for 1 year (2008). It has been amazing to see how people will help one another if given an effective way to do so.

One of our clients has ALS and he has really benefited. In fact, he was one of the clients that received one of the $5,000 check postings yesterday. We want to grow the ALS client list into the hundreds. We are ready to serve clients in all 50 states and beyond.

I think it is important to grow the ALS client group because the need is so clear and in some ways I believe it is a group that is underserved.

I hope that you and others in the forum will help me tell this story but only if you become comfortable with the integrity of this project. Please help us.

I have a local newspaper article from last March I can forward. Al, I also have a "business plan" I could mail to you if that would help.

Thanks again for your response,

Dale

Dale,

This sounds like an excellent service you are offering. I wish we had such an organization in Canada. Unfortunately, so far as I understand the Canadian charitable donation rules, only Canadian charities and American educational institutions can issue charitable receipt donations valid for Canadian income tax filing. Do you know whether the Lighthouse can serve Canadians?

John

Currently, we do not have the ability to offer Canadian income tax receipts but I would think it could be possible in the future. Although, Americans giving to a Canadian client would receive a US tax receipt.

Also, even without tax incentives The Lighthouse Community could still be an effective tool. One reason is because it gives family and firends an opportunity to give confidentially. That is important. We have seen quite a few $5 donations and that is good for everyone. This allows people with limited resources make a donation without feeling like they have "devalued" the client.

The same goes for $5,000 donations. One employer gave an employee thousands and thousands of dollars and the only reason he did so was because he knew the employee will never know. He did not want that employee to feel indebted to him.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back