Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Chamblee
When I first learned about ALS because of my wife's contraction of this terrible disease, I did not understand the mental ramifications of her condition. Thinking that ALS was all about nerves being damaged was true enough, but never did I think that it affected the brain and personality too. All of that thinking was scraped in the second year of her illness.
It would be normal enough for anyone who loses mobility to be agitated,but my wife's personality was changing at too great a rate to just be agitation. Over the course of six months she would lash out at me in ways I had never seen in our long marriage. Even though I was trying my best to keep up with her wants and needs, I was verbally bashed when I least expected it. I knew something was very wrong with her thinking processes and her emotions. After research, I found that until recently, ALS was though to not only affect motor neurons, but that now medical science is sure that it affects the brain also. FTD, or frontotemporal dementia occurs in many ALS patients. It manifest itself in many ways. A patient can become obsessive compulsive as in the case of my wife. She had so many quirks about adjusting the blanket, her hands, her feet, her glasses, that just to do them took a lot of time. I found that many times she would get something trivial like buying stamps on the brain and never let it go. Sometimes she would forget the obsessive object as if it had never happened. It was like a storm occurred in her head and in time the disturbance would dissipate and at other times she would wear herself and me out over it. This in itself is not normal behavior. Another odd trait was the overreaction to trivial matters. I am convinced that she would have hit me several times for no reason had she had the use of her arms.A couple of times I tried in vain to reason with her to let her see that she was not acting rationally to a given situation but it was no use.She never changed despite the fact that it made life miserable for both of us.
To all you caregivers out there that can not quite put your finger on what is wrong, it is their brain that is being affected by the disease. It is not your fault and you can just step out of the room for a moment and collect yourself. When a tantrum was brewing, many times I would simply tell her that I had to leave for a moment. I would leave the room, sometimes in tears and try to recoup. No one but you and God know what you are going through. I often compared it to the invasion of the body snatchers si fi film. Something had stolen my wife and I was not sure who she was. It even made me wonder if I was losing it. I was not! She was!
One thing to remember in this vortex that ALS has placed you and your patient in is to not argue. It is better to be calm and wait out the brain storms that they are having. You are not the problem, but you can by the grace of God be the answer. Just try to survive each day and know that when the disease runs its course you will not have to go through this again. The biggest trial of your life will be over.

My mother also has ALS-induced dimentia. She's not as severely affected as your wife is, but I see the difference.

I am sorry you and I have to go through this.

My heart goes out to you and your wife for the struggles you are facing daily. It must be so sad to lose your mate in more ways than one. It has been said ALS not only takes the patient, it takes a piece of everyone around. Hang in there, best you can.

I do not have dementia but I identify with some of the feelings you and your wife are experiencing. I was a mental health provider but it doesn't always help me weather the loss of function. At times my world seems smaller and my need to get a few small things done feels almost obsessive. I also get very particular about pillows and blankets or I will not be able to move in my bed. Occasionally I lose my battle with frustration and my husband , who is incredible, shares that pain. This is a tough process. I hope you are able to find support for yourself.
Does your wife's treatment person know of her symptoms?

Please scroll down to the ALS/FTD forum and read through the threads. You'll find support that you're not alone and you'll also find many ideas and suggestions.. some to questions you don't even know you have yet. Hang in there. We understand how hard it is.

Just remember the girl you fell in love with is still there, locked away and someone has stolen the key. I will keep you in my prayers. GOD bless you for taking care of your wife.

Since you talk about your wife in the past tense, I am guessing that she has died. I am so sorry.

My PALS did not have FTD, but he did have some personality changes that I think were due to the fact that he was living with ALS. He would lash out at me in ways he never had, but only with me. He did become a bit obsessive compulsive, but I think it was in an effort to control his environment and be "in charge" of something. Now that he is gone, those quirks don't really seem like such a big deal anymore. I think it is normal to have some changes. When the changes put the PALS in danger, I think FTD is the probable cause.

Again, I am sorry for the heartache you experienced and the death of your wife.

Missy, I don't believe she has passed away. I believe he is using that tone because the woman he loved is "gone". I may be wrong; I have been known to be wrong once.

Dorothy, it really reads like she has died. As bad as FTD is, I believe after reading Katie C's and many other posts by CALS dealing with FTD, that there are still many moments that the PALS original personality shine through.

Missy... no, not really... only in our memories. I think Dorothy is absolutely right that he's feeling his wife is gone. My son and I would (still do actually) differentiate between real Glen and FTD Glen. He would visit... but only rarely and briefly.

And Katie, I pray that you forget the bad memories and remember all the good ones even if it at the end they were the glimpses of Glen. I say this to all the Cals that are or have dealt with the FTD side of this disease. MY grandmother suffers from artheriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). She can't remember anything from 5 seconds before. After she's gone I hope to remember only the times she had that twinkle in her eye! God bless all of you Cals.

Dorothy... we are getting there. As with everything.. it's a process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back