The "i appreciate bethu thread!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hal, thanks for bringing this forward, I don't know how I missed it the first time and thanks to Kim for starting it in the first place.

Marianne, you are so right! If anyone who is new here or for any of us who want to be reminded about what a special and talented person she was read her post #10 on this thread.

Beth, wherever you are, I know that you are smiling and coming up with some more outrageous forum follies episodes. That is what I will remember of you, your love of life and all of it's craziness.

I first knew Beth on the PLM forum, under a different alias, and was very impressed by her wisdom and ability to write so coherently. Then in coming here, reading about Paul... I asked her if she were the "same woman" and got to glimpse some totally new (to me) sides of her delightful personality. Yes, post 10 lets us "inside", to see more of her. Kim--how wonderful that you did start this while she was able to read it and respond. She was one of a kind, for sure. Thank you.

At the time this thread was originated, Beth had just gone through a series of trials that had taken their toll (equipment problems, Paul's declining health, medical appointment fiascoes, etc). I figured she could use something that might raise her spirits a bit.

This is one of my favorite "Beth" posts. (its from the post things to cheer up people, #277

[Quoting BethU]

This can’t compete with the lawn mower escapades, but it does show that you don’t need ALS to have a bad hair day.

Scene: About 1970, the era of women’s wigs, at a major intersection in Glendale, me in my ‘66 Mustang (“Charlie Horse”), windows open, gorgeous summer afternoon, pulled into the intersection waiting for the light to change to make a left turn. Light changes, opposing cars stop, I start my turn and some creep guns it from the curb lane to beat the light, and broadsides my car.

My wig flips off my head out the window into the intersection. (“OMG, my wig !”). I pull the car out of the intersection to the curb, and duck down, trying to get the bobby pins out of my hair. I’m in my mid-30s, but most of my hair is already gray, and I just let it go and let it grow under my trusty wig. So I’m hunched over in the car, trying to comb my hair with my fingers, and people are crowded around, peering in the window, thinking I’m injured and in pain because I’m clawing at my hair.

Meanwhile, much commotion and screams coming from the bus stop across the street.

From my left side rear-view mirror, I can see my wig in the intersection. Traffic goes one way, and it tumbles along in that direction a few times. A few people run over it. Then the light changes, and the wig starts tumbling in another direction. Back and forth and all around it tumbles in the intersection.

From the distance, I hear a siren. Thank God, I think, I can hide out in an ambulance. But the ambulance pulls up to the bus stop, not to me. Someone gets loaded on a stretcher and it drives away.

Suddenly, a kid from the corner gas station pushes his way through the crowd, holding my wig with his index finger and thumb, pinky in the air, like it was fresh road kill. He says, “Is this yours, lady?”

I grab it and shove it down on my head. Dignity restored, I let people pull me from the car. As I wait for the cops (the guy who plowed into me had only managed to get his car a half block, then he took off running. Car had been stolen), I talk to the onlookers, or as I think of them, defense witnesses, and get the whole story.

A woman at the bus stop, who happened to be an epileptic, saw my wig fly off, and thought it was my head. The screams I’d heard as my wig tumbled around the intersection were hers. “The head! The head!” The woman then had a grand mal seizure. Hence the ambulance.

I noticed as I talked to the cops and the tow truck driver and my witnesses that people were looking at me very strangely and not getting any too close.

When I got home, I looked in the mirror ... and there I was, gray hair sticking out all around my head, with the brown wig perched precariously on top ... backwards! ... with tread marks on it !

To this day, I still make three right turns to avoid making one left turn at that intersection.

BethU

And I guess she never got her Cadillac, as she was still waiting one of the last times I "talked" to her!

Kim - I suggest a Friday night toast to BethU...in the P.U.B. "Place U'r @ Beth"

Rose, yeah...she was so very talented and descriptive about life! Too funny! I remember that one!:shock:

Sigh, my husband wonders what is wrong with me right now and I don't have the heart to tell him about Beth.

Stay strong y'all!

Hi Beth we havent written each other yet but I think we should! I need all the support I can get and I promise to be here for you as well! Same goes to everyone on this thread! I am new here and I want to know everyones stories. We have to stay together to stay strong. xox Jenny

Rose, Thank you for sharing that classic post from Beth.

Ahh, Rose, I hadn't read that before, so here I sit, tears streaming... from laughter. Thank you for adding that post to this thread.

Rose, thanks for sharing that post. Hilarious! Only in LA....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back