Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at the Headmaster for my wife. It looked to me as if it needed LOTS of adjustments to make it fit right --- and then one wasn't assured that it would work. So, I bought a couple of other head braces. NONE of them work. I'm browsing for something that is a combination head support and back brace. The problems my wife has is not that it's neck muscles --- it's the whole back muscle system that aids in holding the head up. So I'm thinking what might be better would be some combination of a head AND back brace.

Maybe Al will chime in too?

I understand that he is evaluating another type of neck support.

I'm still trying to get a neck brace comfortable enough to wear for extended periods.

AL.

We looked at the Headmaster and a couple of other neck braces. Nothing works for my wife. Her problem is back weakness. The two cervical collars she's tried only held her head up --- but with weak back muscles it really didn't get her head up where it should be. Any ideas from anyone about what we could do for a back support system?

The ambulance people use a KED system to immobilise patients with back and neck injuries. A medical supply house might have something similar.

AL.

As to a Neck Brace: I have wrapped a thick crew sock around the part that rests under the chin, to provide cushioning. I do the same on the back over the velcro closure.

Update:

I did purchase the headmaster. I've not had a whole lot of luck with it. It feels good at first, and then after about 15 minutes or so, I want to rip it off. If I let my chin rest on it, it puts so much pressure on my teeth. I think if I had a gel tooth guard thing, that might help with that. (but I don't, as yet anyway)

Ann (Abbas Child) suggested I try an inflatable type, and posted via a private message the link to an internet seller. It cost about $30, which is roughly 1/4 what the headmaster did. & I like it better. I keep it in the car, because this is the activity where I feel the most stress on my neck. Its not even close to perfect either, but it seems to help more than anything else so far. Its such a trade off as far as comfort goes, because its softer, but then again, its hotter to wear. What works best (when I am the passenger, of course) is to recline the seat back, and with this inflatable collar on, my head doesn't do too much bobbing around. Sitting with the seat back in its full upright position (can you tell I was a flight attendant ? lol) it doesn't really help as much as I would like.

For those of you who are CALS, you may wonder why your PALS is not more receptive to wearing one. All I can say, is I am amazed at how uncomfortable any device is that holds my neck and head into a certain range of motion. (who knew?) I really feel for the whiplash victims of the world now. I've only tried the two styles, but, with each type, when I first put it on I'll think it will help so much, but in such a short while I'm ready to take it back off again. The softness of the inflatable style is nicer as far as the "clenching the teeth together" aspect though.

If you are interested in looking at the type recommended to me by Ann, do an internet search for inflatable cervical neck traction.

Here is the collar:

Attachments

• cervical collar.jpg
    cervical collar.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 687
Hi Rose,
Love that you posted a photo! So grateful that you guys are so willing to share the steps of your journey.
That looks like it would be perfect for the long graceful neck of a tribal princess. I doubt that my short stubby little neck would fit. (when the time comes) Let us know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back