Diagnosis
07/2015
Country
US
State
tx
City
Dallas
I went by myself today to see the Gleeson movie. I must say, it was the most heart warming movie I have ever seen. it is mixed with humor and sadness. I think I cried the majority of the movie but it did not matter since I was the only one watching it. It was an early movie.

Steve's attitude, love of life and love for his family was so inspiring. His wife's dedication and willingness to share so many private moments were beyond belief. The movie is brutally honest, shows the struggles of living with this disease, the struggles with faith, parents and the medical industry.

It is also filled with laughter, joy and hope. He never gives up and juggles both family and his support organization. He has done so much for ALS and those diagnosed with ALS. I am very honored to now be a part of his story.

I am home tonight and now have a different hate towards ALS. Its no longer only personal. I hate that this disease can strike such wonderful people. His journal for his beautiful son will have a huge impact towards ALS awareness. Steve, Michel, River, parents and friends you should be proud. I know it was life changing for me.

Seeing the later stages of the disease first hand was all new to me. I came out of the movie with a better understanding of my husbands future and how important it is to stand beside him in his choices.

I want to tell all the PALS on this forum...how much I admire the positivity you show and the grace you display when dealing with the losses.

Thank you, I will make sure to see this and I will see it alone too. This is probably the most alone I have ever felt in my life, being a CALS and Brian is still doing well physically. No one "gets" this but us, and I hope no one else I know ever has the "opportunity" to truly understand it.

My husband's plan and choices will preclude my seeing the latter stages of this in him. Knowing what his choices at least at this time are, it gives a definite intensity and urgency to all we do together.

Gleason, his family, our PALS, us.... How did we get picked to deal with this? I hate to ask "why me?" so I prefer to ask "Why anyone"?

How brave of you to go watch the movie, knowing full well it was going to be difficult viewing. Kudos.

Thanks Ellis. I do have to admit there were times I was sobbing and felt so much pain during the movie but there were also times where I laughed, smile and admired his and his families strength and openness. I came out of the movie changed once again from this @#$% disease.

My husband and I saw it together. I think it gave us each a better appreciation for the difficulties each of us face individually. It is extremely well done, and does a fine job of pointing out the extreme physical and emotional battle we are in, while adding a dose of humor.

I will probably go see it, but I know it will wreck me emotionally. I can't even watch TV without crying....I guess I am just a big baby. Greg don't say nuttin about this post.

Preaching to the choir Mark. Even a stupid commercial can set me off then my breathing gets so labored. I'm crying my eyes out but more pissed than anything, no matter how hard I try to turn the crying into anger at this disease or anything else I can't do it.

Vince

Mark & Vince,

I cry a lot too. I try not to cry in front of others. I'm crying now. I'm not mad. I'm hurt and disappointed. I have lots of regrets but dwelling on them only makes the depression worse and that makes everything else worse.

Steve has cried during movies or shows for years. Not for sad ones but for ones of extreme happiness. I would never think he is a cry baby. I know better. Mark you aren't either. I think you are closer to souring with the angels than slithered with serpents. Just sayin!

I saw this movie twice, once in DC @ ALS advococy day, a premier showing and Michel, and family were there also for a talk back. We all were crying.
Second time was a little easier but equally inspiring.
Gleason foundation is there to help us ( pals) with technology, and adventures so get. Hold of them and see how they can be of assitence in getting you what you need to live life to it 's fullest. They are helping me get to Yellowstone .
I just met a lot of his team mates & coach of the saints as they practice here in WV. Hope everyone gets to see it. Chally

Wow that's great Chally. I wish they could help Steve get off the couch and to Colorado. He has always loved it there but I can't talk him into a trip.

Last edited:
I've searched and searched. Doesn't look like it will be coming to WV. Since Amazon bought the rights I guess I'll be able to stream it when it leaves the theaters.

Vince

It was here for ONE DAY. I missed it. Looks like Amazon stream for me, too.

I just saw it alone. It was an opportunity to sit and be emotional in a way I don't usually get involved in. Our situations are very different but it sure shows what both CALS and PALS go through.

I like how it was optimistic and realistic too.

I agree Lenore. That exactly how I felt watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back