From ALSA Florida Chapter
(if you know anyone in the media, please fwd the story!):

The ALS Association
Florida Chapter
Media Alert 888-257-1717
813-637-9010 (fax)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 31, 2010

ALS Patient to Deliver Pre-Game Speech to Butler University Basketball Team before NCAA Final 4 Game

WHO/WHAT: Matt White, 43, a Florida man living with the terminal illness ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, is gearing up to deliver a pre-game speech to the Butler basketball team for the NCAA Final 4 game in Indianapolis on Saturday. Matt White is a Butler alumnus who now lives in Cape Haze, Florida. ALS has paralyzed White, robbing him of his ability to walk, speak, and breathe well. However, he hasn’t let the disease steal his passion for life. White plans to deliver his pre-game speech through his wife who will speak for him.

The inspiring speech comes in anticipation of The ALS Association’s ALS Awareness Month which will occur in May. During the month, The ALS Association will join with patients like Matt White who are living life to the fullest in spite of ALS and attempt to raise awareness of the deadly illness which is currently impacting more than 30,000 Americans. The speech also comes in anticipation of National ALS Advocacy Days, May 9-11, when hundreds of patients will join in Washington, D.C. to advocate with lawmakers to enact laws that will help people living with ALS.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig’s Disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that causes its victims to become completely paralyzed, gradually stealing their ability to move any of their limbs. The disease affects motor neurons in the brain and spinal cord. When the motor neurons die, a patient’s muscles waste away. The patient is robbed of the ability to walk, speak, eat, and eventually breathe. Upon diagnosis, patients are given only two to five years to live. There is no cure for ALS.

Visit Welcome - The ALS Association for more information about ALS.

WHEN/WHERE: Tomorrow, April 1st at 1pm
Matt White departs from Venice Municipal Airport for Indianapolis, Indiana
Venice Municipal Airport
150 Airport Avenue East
Venice, FL 34285-3937

MEDIA CONTACT: Kamden Kuhn, The ALS Association Florida Chapter
(813) 335-9704 (cell)
[email protected]
Interviews with Matt White and his wife, available upon request

Cool, Since my Kansas teams didnt make it I didnt have a favorite team. Now I do! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK(Next year)

Very cool. I'm pulling for them - if they win it makes it easierto swallow that they beat SU!

Nice video

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda watching the game now with hubby! Seems like ALSA FLA really knows what they are doing.

Rock chalk bulldogs!

ALSA Florida Chapter did an amazing job getting this story out in a short period of time.

Bulldogs never quit. One more game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back